An industry that is in decline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on a subject I know very little about. I've learned a lot.
FWIW, I think the dive industry is not the same as the LDS
industry. LDSs concentrate on first instruction and first equiptment. The diving "industry" provides travel, boats &
experiences for divers. The travel part of the industry seems to be doing OK. Small stores whether they be the corner pharmacy or LDS are hurting in an age of internet sales and large discount
stores. Perhaps the future is for LDSs to break away from just teaching/equiptment and become specialty travel agencies as well. Not just a Saturday at Lake Muddy, but regular agencies selling and promoting that particular kind of vacation. Part of the problem now may be that diving has spread into areas where it doesn't thrive. I live in the Great Lake State with water everywhere. Still, diving here is either deep and cold or clams and perch. Not much fun. It's hard to expand interest where your nearest reef is 1200 miles away. Bottom line: this is a coastal sport that has gone inland. Inland LDSs will have a hard time reguardless of pricing for equiptment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom