An uncomfortable situation, Your opinions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taking the reg out can lead to problems if you cough out and then involuntarily inhale. Instead hork it into your second stage. Take reg out and rinse. If an intensive rinse is needed stick your backup reg in your mouth and continue rinsing.

As for ascent. Both the OP and DM blew it IMHO. The DM wanted the group to stay together as such before ascending I would have given the all done signal and thumbs up to the DM. The DM should have responded with one minute more at this level signal. At this point I would have hoovered until the DM said all done and gave the thumbs up sign.

However, the OP decided to leave early without signally the DM and DM reacted very poorly. The DM seeing the OP leave should have watched to make sure they got to the surface safely and then devoted their time to watching both those above and below.

I think a lot depends on the relationship between you and the DM.

If you are a student taking a class, then the DM has a responsibilty to assure the safety of the student.

However, if the DM is just a "guide" for the dive, then the DM has no business shoving your reg back into your mouth, or grabbing onto to you.

I would have responded rather violently had the DM grabbed me a second time.

what's with a weight pocket coming loose? Perhaps a better pre-dive gear inspection is in order?
Good point- I started another thread about this sorta. I was experimenting a bit with position of my lead to see if shifting a kg to the shoulder straps might fix my slight foot heavy trim issue.

point at wonky weight pocket...hand sign problem...point at computer OK...go up... I like spitting out goo with my reg in my mouth... you could have still signed problem...minute...spit...reg back in mouth.... signalling problem is a big help as a dive leader.... it means to me you are under control and working it out....vs not letting me know there is a problem....

Hi Kaz

Can you please explain this statement in red below
Were you experimenting moving weights while submerged
I've never heard of anyone moving weight to a shoulder strap

If you have trim issues try a back plate and wing with your weight only distributed evenly on your back, being the plate or trim pockets on the cylinder bands, close to your back

Good point- I started another thread about this sorta. I was experimenting a bit with position of my lead to see if shifting a kg to the shoulder straps might fix my slight foot heavy trim issue.

I've never been to NZ or to the Pacific Islands, but I have done lake dives, resort day boats and liveaboards around the world

And, if you go to a resort as an inexperienced diver with less thn a hundred dives they will 'look after you'

Once you have more experience ....
being # of dives, the way you conduct yourself, the way you communicate, kit you use, courses you've taken, increased understanding of your sport
and, start going on worldwide liveaboards where more experienced people go, you will be treated differently

Yep sure did--Untill it was ripped outa my hand and jambed in me gob.

deleted .... by me

You're a certified diver and are responsible for yourself. Although the company will have a certain liability you really are free to do what you like. The DM shouldn't be doing that. What if you had a problem and needed to surface are they going to hold you down? Intervention on their part should only occur if you are in peril and are requesting help, otherwise keep your hands to yourself.

On a recent boat dive overseas dive I found myself in an uncomfortable situation.
The dive was to be lead by a local DM followed by two instabuddy teams (5 divers in total) all the divers were/are AAW certifide and all with at least 50 dives in the last 2 years. The dive brief was we were doing a max depth 22m dive with a total dive tme of 45 minutes or first to hit 50 bar. (we all looked at each other puzzled and muttered about still having half a tank at dive end). ?

Mhhhh 50bar...and half your air...yeah right. U know that 50bar is the start of the red line on ur mano? You came out of the water with 100 bar after less than 1h with max depth of 22m and believe you could have gone to 60m? Dont dive with a DM, dont put him at risk please.

r.

Mhhhh 50bar...and half your air...yeah right. U know that 50bar is the start of the red line on ur mano? You came out of the water with 100 bar after less than 1h with max depth of 22m and believe you could have gone to 60m? Dont dive with a DM, dont put him at risk please.

I think the OP was meaning that after 45mins with a max depth of 22m he'd still have about half a tank. The total time allowed even with good consumption was 45mins which is pretty short IMO but could be due to a few different factors. For example in Sharm el Sheikh the harbour masters get pretty angst about day boats arriving after a certain time- angst enough to take away the captain's license.

I don't know where you took 60 metres from....

Reactions: Jax

Back
Top Bottom