And what about the G7X ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that a larger sensor is inherently more difficult to focus compared to a smaller sensor, but what also matters is the lens.

Nauticam has just announced their housing for the G7X, and seem to agree with Scott G. that the G7X is better than the RX100 for macro:

"Most interesting to underwater photographers is the excellent macro performance of G7 X when used with accessory macro conversion lenses. G7 X can capture significantly smaller subjects than Sony's RX100 series. The only current cameras that we've tested offering better closeup performance are the smaller sensor Canon G16 and S120."

What is also interesting is that they are planning a compact macro converter wet lens, sort of a baby brother to the SMC. The sample picture using a prototype lens by Alex Tattersall is very impressive! Canon G7 X, now available! ? Nauticam USA

Also interesting is their new port system. If you want to shoot wide, you can get a shorter port that limits zoom. I guess there will always be a trade-off between versatility and image quality. Although the G7X looses some versatility (in terms of being able to shoot wide and macro on same dive) compared to compacts with smaller sensors, the image quality is getting better!

I don't read the same information. Nauticam are saying that macro performance is better but not as good as s120 and g16. Scott site says that but also mentions a capture area of less than 36mm with a single diopter. What am saying that the last information is not physically possible. The g7x focus distance at tele is 40cm which is better than the RX100 (55 cm) but with the same 100mm zoom I don't see how this camera can get to magnification mentioned on Scott site and still be in focus. The G16 will achieve around 1" size but the zoom is 1.4x this camera will have 1*1.4*1.2=1.7" the 1.2 because the g7x focus further away compared to the g16. What helps with the g7x is that you have a bit more range of focus with a close up lens compared to the rx100 but in terms of absolute magnification is only marginal

Very interesting to see nauticam introducing an interchangeable port system for the high end compact. Wonder if this will become standard? Would be very interested to find out how it performs in wideangle shooting with the wide port, uwl-h100 + dome port. Though I suppose for some the whole advantage of going with a compact is the versatility of switching between WA, normal and macro at will underwater. Hopefully the ports are not completely specific to individual systems and can be used with subsequent cameras and housings. Seems like the difference in price and features between the high end compact system and mirrorless is becoming hard to distinguish.

I think it's important to mention that the battery life for the g7x doesn't look very impressive. Something like 100 shots fewer than the sonys. Probably going to be a big turnoff for underwater video shooters and those who prefer to have the power last multiple dives without a battery swap. Personally I wish they'd just put a 1" sensor into something with the form and battery life of the last 2 G series cameras.

Just noticed Interceptor's article on wetpixel. Posting the link here since you pare down several issues relevant to the OP: ie. the falloff in enthusiasm for the latest high end compacts in underwater photography, including the g7x
http://interceptor121.com/2015/01/10/endofadvancedcompacts/

The g7x is actually one of the best as the standard port is m67 and you don't need adapters for diopters plus you can use the wetmate to restore the 24mm field of view
I don't see any point for a dome port on the g7x at all. However the canon video abilities combined with short battery life don't make this camera a star performer
Rx100 mark II camera and housing have similar or better image quality better video better battery TTL in manual and are more compatible with wet lenses
Macro at not be super but you can crop and if you take the shot right corner sharpness is not an issue

Just for the benefit of others following this thread, lack of a hot shoe is actually a good thing for those of us who are using fibre-optic cables to trigger their strobes. I think most people starting out will more likely go that route rather than the old-school electric cables.
i should have been clearer. having a hot shoe AND a built in strobe are not mutually exclusive. i am greedy, so i want both.

we both agree that a builtin flash is a good thing as it provides a safe, low cost and increasingly popular sync method for strobes. this design has some limitations on cycle time and battery life.

for dry land situations, lack of a hotshoe limits your ability to use external flashes. so my non starter comment was from a big picture perspective and all round use of the camera.

for dry land situations, lack of a hotshoe limits your ability to use external flashes. so my non starter comment was from a big picture perspective and all round use of the camera.

Hahaha, so you can actually take the camera out of its housing and use it topside? That is a novel concept for me!!! :wink:

Seriously though, although my interest in topside photography is less compared to underwater, I tend to use a different camera topside than underwater. For quick casual snaps, many people are using their smart-phone these days (and I am definitely not taking that underwater! :wink:). If you are serious enough to be using external strobes topside, wouldn't you be going for an SLR or mirrorless? Camera bodies are pretty cheap compared to underwater housings and strobes! (Or maybe that is just me)

Cheers and happy diving!

Hahaha, so you can actually take the camera out of its housing and use it topside? That is a novel concept for me!!!
well i didn't at first. until my divebuddy pointed out that with sufficient training i should be able to work the camera without the housing. it took a while to adapt, but i think i have almost mastered it.

and i did make the "no hot shoe" mistake a few years back. i snapped up a super zoom camera and was so intent on its zoom & burst mode capabilities that i never realized it only had a pop up flash until one time when i needed some serious indoor light. had to grab an old camera. oops. so now i carry at least 2 cameras on all trips. i change cameras instead of lens. it is the new world order.

Back
Top Bottom