Anilao end of May - June 2010; info please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

was told May is the best time of year for anilao. That is when Nudi/critter numbers increase/peak. (according to dive guide)

Water temp will also have increased a couple of degrees by then.

Thanks Kathy, Caloy and kevster
I already have the ticket to manila; end of May to first week of June.
6 night at Anilao and 2 night in Manila; yup my ladies need shopping too.
can't wait - Oh time running so slow ...

Jag
I am too lazy to write a report - but you'll read the report on my daughters blog mid of June.

Wisnu,
What a great family you have - your daughters websites are very nice.

Early June should be fine. It is in the 'low' season and there is more chance of rain or chop than in April, May, but the past 2 years it has been excellent. Unfortunately, this is an El Nino year, and I'm not sure how that impacts the timing of the monsoon and the resulting weather.

Jigo is right on about a la carte pricing. You can beat the 1100-1500 standard rates. Crystal Blue has that kind of pricing.

Best of diving luck.
Bob

Bob,
Thanks for kind words and glad you enjoy their works.
Diving for us is not just a recreational activities; it will keep us closer and also par of education.
English is not our mother language. By keep asking them to write the report will help them to improve their skill.
So, we'll get multiple benefit from our diving trips.

Portulano, Crystal Blue or Arthur Place ?
:d
All thanks for all inputs.
I’ve been corresponding with several resort / dive center in Anilao – most of them are responsive; seem great operation.
However, considering our budget and our other specific requirement; we look closer to Portulano, Crystal Blue and Arthur Place; price from high to low but very close within +/- 10%; so not an issues.
Not easy to choose – so any advise and recommendation is much appreciated.
FYI; in addition to 2 or 3 boat diving per day; we also like to have shore diving and shore night diving. I have no problem to repeat at the same location.

One more question, our ETA Manila is 21:55 pm. If we go straight to Anilao from Airport; we’ll reach Anilao next day just after midnight. Sure we’ll ask the resort to arrange the transportation for us; but is still realistic and safe to go directly to Anilao at that time or better to overnight at Airport hotel or other hotel in Manila?

Cheers

Out of those 3 I've only been to portulano. Great service and has a nice house reef. But I'd choose arthur's place, as that's the resort most central to the Anilao dive sites. Arthur's rock is right in front, as well as a few other sites within drift diving distance.

I would just stay in Manila for the night and head out early next morning. Hope that helps.

edit: VVVV thanks Kuya Jigs, for some reason I had crystal blue confused with another resort that was past mainit! VVVV

Last edited:
i've stayed only in crystal blue and its great value for money for overnight stays (i prefer aquaventure for daytrips). its fairly new and the rooms are big. they have two queen sized beds in each room (dont ask me why ;p) and even a bath tub. its right beside arthur's so its also near most dive sites. what's also nice about the place is the car parks right at the resort so you are spared a steep climb. try to get the ground floor rooms though since there are rooms that require a short climb.
the dive shop is also fairly new although tank costs are slightly higher than aquaventure.

Another tick for Arthur's Place here, I've stayed at both Crystal Blue and Arthurs Palce (they are practically next door to each other by the way, so have the same shore diving and site access :))

Crystal Blue was okay, but I'd rate Arthur's Place higher on food, accommodation and dive guides - Lito is a great spotter for Muck diving - in addition to the 'normal' stuff he found two flambouyant cuttlefish, a blue ring octopus and a pair of rhinopias on my last dive with him in Secret Bay. If you can reserve the family room at Arthur's Place you also get a very nice terrace directly on the waters edge complete with a seating area, table and hammock!

Crystal Blue would have better dive equipment but I'm assuming you're bring most of your own anyway? Crystal Blue can provide on site Nitrox fills, however based on your previous posts regarding depths etc I guess that's not too important:)

I've not stayed at Portulano - but it's a long way from the Main Anilao dive sites! This isn't so bad for a weekend trip, but not ideal if you're traveling a long way each day - the additional boat costs would add-up. The sites near to Portulano are okay, I think you'll particularly like Basura which is close to Portulano - however Basura would be closer to Arthurs Place than Portulano is to most of the main Anilao sites. I have a feeling you'll really enjoy Secret Bay and the Mainit Bubbles sites - and they are a long, long way from Portulano!

The trip from Manila to Anilao will be fine at night, however if there is heavy rain the Star tollway would be a little intimidating if the driver is half asleep and going flat-out to get there in a hurry :) It should be okay that time of year.

My common sense would say spend the night in Manila and get an early transfer to Anilao around 5 or 6am the next day - although I'd probably be excited to start diving and go straight there was I doing the same trip :D

The early morning Dive at Secret bay is a good one if your happy with an early start - be in the water for 6am at Secret Bay if you direct from Manila to Anilao and you should have a great first dive!

Hope that helps!

Karl

PS - I tend to go to Arthur's Place around once a month so I may well see you there!

I've read all the above, and I am still trying to decide between Anilao, Subic or PG, (PG being the only one of the three I have visited previously) .. as along with good diving I do want a little life outside the hotels.

As far as I can gather

PG - good mixed diving, plenty of restaurants, shops, bars outside resorts.
Anilao -good shallow diving, very little outside the resorts.
Subic - good wreck diving, and I guess restaurants, shops, bars outside resorts ?

Decisions, decisions -

@wantonmien

you gave the answer yourself!
anilao: nothing besides diving
pg: you know the deal
subic: besides new york nothing really to dive for. but in terms of living besides diving, subic beats pg.

if you are a wreck bum, willing to dive this site every day (penetrating new york) and find the dive shop willing to go there every day then it is ok. and these penetrating dives are pretty good.

diving in general is never as good as pg or anilao.

watching the sun set from the floating bar is something different and very relaxing

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom