Animal Encounters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last year while reef diving, there was a Remora that wanted to keep attaching to my buddy and I. It wouldn't leave us from the moment it saw us. We would shoe it away, it would just playfully dodge and keep trying to swim up to our legs or fins, etc.

I don't even want to know how bad that would hurt if that little guy latched on.

I try to enjoy all wildlife encounters. Marine wildlife encounters are one of the major reasons I dive!

Follow rule of good practice and conservation: Don't touch anything. Moray eels will not "attack" but they do not liked to be touched and will bite the hand that touches them. Don't feed anything. Feeding alters behavior and makes you smell and seem like food. Don't chance anything- let the animals come to you, or observe them as unobtrusively as possible. Pay attention to what yo are doing- don't inadvertely stick a hand or foot into a defended territory. Don't move around like a crazy person. Maintain good buoyance and body control, and enjoy the scenery. Follow these guidelines and I doubt you will ever have an unpleasant animla encounter.
DivemasterDennis

It's actually amazing how easily we harmonize with sea animals if we do not threaten or harm them, intentionally or otherwise. Sharks and barricuda can be curious and are usually hungry. I do not keep their food on me. In 40 years neither have ever attacked. I've had a giant Manta come so close I stroked his underbelly. Stone fish and lionfish won't hurt you unless you touch them. EELS live in holes and can be easily avoided. Problems can happen when animals are afraid or protecting themselves or their young. If you try to be at peace with the animals, you usually will be. adventure-ocean

....."what do you do if you encounter a bear?" when I hunt......

Fill my pants like this guy?

To the OP, I tell people that I go out of my way to not be aggressive to any marine life and if anything looks suspect, I give it wide berth and swim around while keeping an eye on it. If anything did get aggressive, I would as calmly as possible get away from it.

The most common question from non-divers is "do you ever see sharks?" When I tell them yes, they ask me if it's scary? I say no ... we're not on their menu, and since we're neither food nor potential sex partners their curiosity doesn't last very long ... so enjoy the encounter before they decide to swim away.

Generally, our most exciting encounters locally come from our larger fish species like ling cod and cabezon during nesting season. They're protective of their area, and will head-butt you or even nip you if you wander too close to the eggs. So don't ... they're visible enough. Even if they do, however, it's more startling than injurious ... so swim away. Once you cross that invisible fence they've put up around their nest, they'll leave you alone.

When a non-diver asks me what's the most dangerous animal I've ever enountered underwater, I always answer "another diver" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So I get this question all the time in various forms. What do I do if I see a shark(eel, barracuda)? I know the PADI answer, I know what I tell them, the question to all of you....

What do you tell people to do if an animal is taking a little too much interest in you? Besides take pictures :)

Welp, it seems just about everything in life comes with a certain amount of risk. On the other hand; nothing ventured, nothing gained... right?. I remember my instructor trying to instill in us the value of respect for what you are doing, and where you are doing it. So, I would say to that person; feel honored and enjoy the experience, but always be respectful and do no harm.

Last edited:
I've dove with innumerable eels and barracudas and did two dives surrounded by at least 9 circling bull sharks (which next week we'll be reminded on TV that they're the most aggressive dangerous shark), but the only fish that ever attacked me was a Garibaldi at Catalina Island. The only danger they pose is that you could lose your regulator laughing too much.

Don't try to pet the Lionfish. They are not very cuddly despite the feline based name. Now stabbing them is another story!

Don't annoy them and they wont bother you... the only sharks i've seen so far swim away from divers not counting the lazy nurses

Back
Top Bottom