Animal Encounters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like to tell people that animals don't just attack, especially divers, we're big, strange, and have bubbles flying out of our head. So if you're lucky enough to see a big animal that scares you, get vertical and get big. They will take off for sure. Most animals in the wild are horizontal. Never bolt to the surface.

It makes them feel like they have a plan.

And very noisy! Us OC types anyway. I've actually seen a small group of tatougs react to the sounds of my breathing flinching every time I exhaled. There was a freshly baited lobster pot keeping them there but they would all "jump back" at the same time when I exhaled they'd then regroup and continue feeding until I exhaled.

I've hung out with cudas diving NC they like to watch you at the SS. Also big ole dog like sand tiger sharks some of them over 10' long with those long curved fish eating teeth. You can get right in with them and swim in a circle with them. They keep their distance but they don't bolt away from you and they don't attack either.

From what I've read on the forum & elsewhere, and what I see, my concerns about potential hostile animals encounters are:

What I see:

1.) 'Rubble diving' shallow at the end of shore dives, it's possible I could swim over a scorpionfish & get nailed if I'm too close to the bottom.

2.) Night diving, I could step or fall on a sea urchin, or be swept into one by surge, getting in or out shore diving. Ditto fire coral.

What I read:

1.) Occasionally morays acclimated to being fed & handled by dive guides may come out to 'greet' divers. While it's unlikely to attack you, a large green moray swimming up close & personal into your immediate space could be worrisome.

2.) Spear fishing can agitate sharks; not just the blood but also the thrashing. If you get into spear fishing, you may have to manage some conflict with animals that want your catch. 3

3.) People may deliberately seek out encounters with oceanic white tip sharks, pelagics who you're not likely to stumble across on most reef dives. They are said to be curious, willing to get close & personal sometimes, and they are potentially dangerous.

4.) It's highly unlikely you're going to jump into the water unprotected with a bunch of humboldt squid in a feeding frenzy, or with sharks nearby tearing into a whale carcass.

5.) Some jellyfish species can be very bad news. This is something you may consider in some parts of the world.

Basically, if you wanted to get yourself killed, you could do it. But it's unlikely you're going to be randomly attacked doing mainstream diving without spearfishing.

Richard.

Agree that taking pictures is the way to go! Funny story behind the photo...I'm usually the one with the camera. So there are pictures of my husband with the sharks, eagle rays, stingrays, turtles, grouper...you get the picture. Other than the sound of me breathing in the occasional video, no proof that I even really dive, lol. So, on our last day in Belize in April 2012, I handed the camera to my husband and said "get some proof that I do this!". Well, be careful what you ask for...we were the last two in our small dive group and a large loggerhead drifted through the dive group. He drifted past my husband and I'm thinking "cool, this huge turtle is going to drift right by me without a care in the world". And then the turtle keeps drifting right at me. And then we're pretty much eye-to-eye. And then he is right on top of me and tries to take a big bite out of my bangs that were doing their very best sea grass impersonation (I can only guess). The photo is clearly of me <gently> shoving this huge turtle off of me. I make it a point to never touch anything unless necessary (yes, I've been known to turn over a stranded conch), so everyone got a kick out of me having to shove this turtle away. We laughed so hard...masks flooded, etc. It was GREAT!
Belize Turtle.jpg

+1 for Titan triggerfish aggressiveness. One of the instructors where I dive sometimes had one take a bite out of his calf. No provocation. Put him on land for over a month! Nasty.

I've dove with innumerable eels and barracudas and did two dives surrounded by at least 9 circling bull sharks (which next week we'll be reminded on TV that they're the most aggressive dangerous shark), but the only fish that ever attacked me was a Garibaldi at Catalina Island. The only danger they pose is that you could lose your regulator laughing too much.

Garibaldi's make me laugh too ... they're like animated bathtub toys. The fish that annoys me is the clownfish ... damn things are like those annoying little dogs that are always trying to bite you in the ankle. After my encounters with clownfish in Indonesia I've come to the conclusion that Nemo deserved the dentist's office ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've only been attacked by two species of fish in my diving career - the Titan - which is super aggressive during mating season and can cause serious damage to a person if they sink their teeth in, although apart from being rammed in the thigh, they have mostly gone for my fins. I have 30 bite marks in my Volos! The same fish managed to bite through my colleague's mask nose pocket... he's lucky to still have a nose. The general advice is to detour and swim away and down away from the nest... if, that is, you know where the nest is.

The other species would be the clownfish. Aggressive little buggers when they're agitated! It's part of the reason I refuse to watch the Nemo cartoon movie - Nemo cute and cuddly; sharks vicious scary monsters.... not true! Your average shark will disappear as soon as you make a noise or move slightly, whereas Nemo will happily take on a diver approximately 30 times their size, although granted their bite is not really that forceful, although one managed to draw blood when I wasn't looking...!

Love the turtle pic - same thing happened to a mate of mine with long wavy blond hair - guess the turtle was after some soft coral!

Observe, enjoy, take photos, take away your memories. The only thing I'm afraid of underwater is other people....

Cheers

C.

Got this off a different forum thought it funny

Me and my crew, we're all scuba divers. We're safer than surfers, right?
shark-behind-divers-1_zps68c03c62.jpg

Yes your fine just smile and say " Cheese" ...... bait ?

Watch out for playful Sea Lion juvenile delinquents.
PB190046.jpg

Bob
-------------------------------
I honestly feel I'm a better diver now. I learned to respect the ocean the hard way. One swallow at a time. Mark Derail

The most dangerous water encounter I have had is in the lake, the sunnys will whack you hard and bite your ears, I have to warn students and wave at them to keep them away, lots of diving with sharks, never seen one be agressive. also remember some sharks cant see straight ahead so they will swim straight at you and then turn sideways to take a look at the strange new creature in their water. it is not agressive behaviour.

My clownfish attacks me when I am cleaning the reef tank. Does that count?
Who would have thought they were so aggressive LOL

Back
Top Bottom