Annual equipment inspection??? Lots of questions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The last weekend of May this year on Lake Michigan, we were diving on the Milwaukee Car Ferry. A father and his daughter were at about 100' and half way down the wreck when his reg, ing factor here seemed to be the unserviced and malfunctioning reg in cold water on a deep dive.

If I had any reservations about yearly servicing of my gear, this incident resolved those questions.

Scary! I'm glad to hear that it turned out Ok. Just bolting on his own with a free-flow reg is crazy!

Your logic and argument for annual maintenance are non sequitur.

"Seemed to be unserviced" What does that mean? Was it a look? A smell?

Even if it was known to not have been serviced (he told you), you still cannot say it failed because it was not serviced. Regs that are serviced fail. Free flow in cold water is a common problem. Without a diagnosis such as "the analysis by the service technican was that a worn seal had failed" then this situation doesn't really provide evidence or contribution for the need to get annual maintenance.

Once again I must point out that just about every regulator failure I've ever heard of occurred right after servicing.

Once again I must point out that just about every regulator failure I've ever heard of occurred right after servicing.
Actually, after my second servicing I had a slight "leak" of about a bubble per-second in my octo. I have heard similar stories, but they're just stories that I haven't observed.

When you supervise forty or fifty divers for two or three decades you have a large enough sample to start seeing these sorts of things.

Well, I had 3 regs serviced and all 3 free-flowed when I started to use them. Sounds like a 100% failure rate to me! All 3 were readjusted free but that's not the point.

So, I sent the rest of them to DiveSports for service. No problems!

Richard

My opinion on this has started to shift. I'm in my 3rd year of diving and pretty much bought everything within 6 mos. of getting certified. For the first 2 anniversaries of purchase, I got my reg serviced at the LDS. It cost me approx. $80 for each.

I am fanatical about taking care of my gear. For regs that boils down to proper cleaning after use and annual maintenance. I beg, borrow, and pester the dive shop or a neighbor building for a rinse hose when I get off the dive boat. Worst case I use the tub after I get back to the hotel room. When I get home I soak in warm water in the tub, use a mild detergent meant for gear, and rinse thoroughly. During storage and transport I'm also careful how it's treated and avoid having others setup/breakdown my gear for me.

So the reg cost me $400 and a new one would cost about the same. Based on my conversations with experienced divers, reading posts, reading magazines, reading books (yes!! i love to read about diving!) it seems that the advances in regulators have made them reliable devices with increased life expectancy.

Even if with proper care and annual maintenance, the risk of failure of the reg (or any device) will increase with time and use.

So if I keep my reg for 5 years at $80/yr in maintenance, I'll have spent $400 in maintenance. That means I could buy a new one with that investment. If I sell my old one, which is my current plan, then I can invest that money towards the new reg at 4 years and break even as compared to annual maintenance. If something shiny catches my eye in year 3, I can choose to spend the "extra" $80 and have a new one sooner. This is pretty likely as I like gear and gadgets, love diving, and am fortunate to have discretionary funds to spend on leisure purchases.

So now I'm thinking that my dollars are better spent buying a new reg every 3-5 years rather than spending for annual maintenance.

Of course some would point of that with annual maintenance, my risk of failure, say in year 3 , is higher than if I had gotten annual maintenance and so this is a threat to my life. True. But the failure rates of regs that are well maintained don't seem high within 3-5 years. (of course I can't mathematically quantify that) Then combined with the facts that I have a fully redundant second stage and I always dive with buddy are sufficient risk mitigating factors for me to offset that. If it weren't, I'd be diving with a pony and another reg. A first stage failure could be more dangerous and catastrophic but most failures don't occur there given the design. Oh... And I have that dive buddy. If my trust level with my dive buddy is low such as on trip, then I also keep me and my dive buddy near the dive master during the dive.

...kinda sounds like you're planning to 'coast on the coattails' of your dive buddy in the hope that HE'S gonna be the one dumb enough to keep his gear serviced regularly while you're busy saving money on servicing ? ...also, if a gear failure gets you 'bent'...or worse.....the money you saved on servicing will likely appear 'penny-wise and pound-foolish'.

While a lot of people trash talk alot of PADIs courses I would say one of my more beneificial courses would have to be the equipment specialty. While it really serves very little purpose for the actual in the dive part it helps better understand why upkeep is so vital. And when it does come in useful in the water its usually because you have a problem and can trouble shoot it more effectively.

Taking for instance the regulator. While it has several parts too it and each one is in equality just as vital the most likely to go wrong with even a maintained regulator would be wear and tear that you never even see from the outside. Im not good with actual names so all I can do is discribe it but there is a rubber part that goes on the inside of the regulator and with time can dry out and crack. If this happens it can cause a free flow. because you would never know it until its too late to save a dive or your life this alone would be the most important reason why maintaining your gear annually is a must.

And to stop lecturing and get straight to the point. What would you rather have an annual expense and peace of mind or be diving at 100 + feet and realize some peace of gear just caused you a serious problem due to neglect?

While a lot of people trash talk alot of PADIs courses I would say one of my more beneificial courses would have to be the equipment specialty. While it really serves very little purper know it until its too late to save a dive or your life this alone would be the most important reason why maintaining your gear annually is a must.

And to stop lecturing and get straight to the point. What would you rather have an annual expense and peace of mind or be diving at 100 + feet and realize some peace of gear just caused you a serious problem due to neglect?

The word you're looking for is diaphragm. Sure... There are parts that do wear. However, read the entirety of my first post. These aren't parts that wear to the point of failure every year. Sure... the risk goes up. Do you get in your car everyday and put on a helmet and body armor?

To the point of the poster about problems after "maintenance', there is significant risk associated the random part-time guy working at the LDS that does your maintenance even if he is certified.

It's all about balancing risk, ROI, and enjoyment. Despite another poster's mention that I "coast" since I don't pay for maintenance, it's probably obvious to to the thinking person by my posts on this thread that I don't make decisions capriciously or coast haphazardly in my approach to diving or other matters.

Do you get in your car everyday and put on a helmet and body armor?

The better analog would be to ask do you get all safety systems checked and serviced every year and in accordance with manufacturer's recommendation to maintain your safety and that of everyone on the road with you?

As far as risk, they are far more accidents with driving than diving every day that kill people. And you drive every day!

Dwelling on minor points of diving safety when compared to all other things in life always confuses me.

\ Sure... the risk goes up. Do you get in your car everyday and put on a helmet and body armor?

LOL yes I do. body amor anyway :)

Anyway just my 2 cents :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom