Annual servicing - "Check up" vs. parts replacement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the Scubapro manuals I find no information on tolerances for the piston, the body, or the cap. How do you tell if these items are in tolerance and the o-rings will seal?

There is no sure way of telling if it will seal. If it leaks I replace it. If it fails wile I am diving it will leak..end of story...no big deal. Again this are my personal regulators and not even the ones I use when I travel.

I did not and would not use the same procedure working for a shop.

For the regulators my wife and I use when we travel (or more important dives) I am a lot more careful, but I still don't go wild replacing parts all the time.

Maybe I have just been very lucky, but it has worked for me for a few decades. Personally, I don't think it is luck...I think the regulators I picked are a lot more rugged than they get credit.

Oh ...and I have also worked with O-ring seal designs as an engineer for many years. When I used to work on sonar and other submersible pressure vessels for the Navy, we actually had a guy who's specialty was O-ring designs. Most O-ring designs should follow the Parker O-ring books recommendations, but there are special circumstances. In a regulator the O-ring designs are relatively simple...for the most part only water and air, only mild temperature range...very benign environment. The 3000 to 5000 psi working pressure is considerable pressure but is not unusual.

Again, I am not recommending that anyone reuse O-rings unless you are totally comfortable doing it and I would not do it for a paying customer if that is not the manufacturer recommended practice.

Well for the DIY people,

Here is my take on it. If it's easy to replace, such as a plug or cap o-ring an use an o-ring that has been inspected for nicks, flat spots etc and press on. If it is an internal o-ring, like a piston stem, use a new one.

Same for the HP seat, if after a rebuild there is no IP creeping after duly cycling it, why not keep the old one in service-a new one can be installed in a manner of minutes.

couv

...because oftentimes you do not have access to the new parts, and you have almost no way of knowing if the O-Ring used by company XYZ for their piston seal was a standard size and durometer or not.

I've never had problems with re-installing the same seats, O-Rings, etc. Sherwood regs especially, just aren't that finnicky.

I agree that the need for service can vary. For example I dive a lot and when I used to do 130 or so dives per year with a single reg, it was not uncommon to encounter problems with IP creep, especially with the Mk 10 Plus and Mk 15 with their early concave seats and seat material (the current MK 20/25 seats and material used in these seats as well as new Mk 10 Plus and Mk 15 seats are much better). Once I switched to doubles and started swapping primary and backup regs mid season to even out the use, going a full year between annual services was not a problem (130 dives total per reg but only 60-65 dives per reg where the reg sees numerous inhalation cycles.)

The point is that a lightly used reg with one or two tropical trips with proper rinsing and care since the last annual service does not really need a full annual service. A flow test, a new low pressure seat in the second stage are more than enough in most cases. In contrast, a reg that has seen 100 or more dives or 50 or more hours of operation under water, probably would benefit from a full rebuild even if 12 months have not yet expired as it is beyond amount of use where you can expect continued problem free operation. In fact many shops with heavily used rental or pool regs will service them 2 or 3 times per year to keep them within thes general time between service limits.

I also agree that I will at times I have taken liberties with my regs that I will not consider taking with a customer reg. I have an impressive save a dive kit and have on one or two occassions done a 10 minute mini-rebuild of amy reg on the boat when I had a pre-dive check problem that would have caused a customer to miss a dive.

I should clarify that I replace dynamic o-rings (piston head, piston stem, seat carrier, etc) without question at each rebuild. With semi-dynamic o-rings like the swivel cap o-ring, usually not as they are larger, under low stress, are easy to remove with no risk of damage and are usually in very good to excellent condition even after years of use. With smaller semi-dynamic ones like the one in LP hose swivel, they usually get replaced as they see more rotational movement, more dirt and grime, are impossible to inspect without removing them, and removing them has significant potential to damage them through excessive stretching. In very rare cases where I do not have a replacement for that particular o-ring, the "it's not broke so don't fix it" dictum applies and I leave it entirely alone as removing and inspecting does more damage and can render it unserviceable.

Static o-rings like the HP and LP port o-rings get replaced if they are flattened, brittle/stiff or show signs of damage such as nicks or feathers. If they are fine they get relubed and reinstalled. If there is any doubt or if they have obviously been in service for years, they get replaced anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom