Another Bonaire fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s why I mentioned the covid angle. Many vacation divers probably haven’t been in the water much, if at all, in the past two years. I wonder how many have taken a refresher if they’ve been out of the water?

Reducing your chances of a heart attack is a bit more work than "a refresher".

I wonder if it is heart related issues from the COVID vaccine. Lots of young athletes are dying of heart issues as well now

Another big study on that just came out, looking at more than 400,000,000 vaccine doses. Overall risk of myocarditis after COVID vaccine was about 18 cases per million doses, similar to flu vaccine, and significantly less than the average for non-COVID vaccines (56 per million).

The incidence of myocarditis following COVID infection is about 1500 per million.

So you are about 83 times as likely to get myocarditis from COVID as from a COVID mRNA vaccine.

The local news reported that a male diver had difficulties in the water in front of Captain Don's Habitat this morning at about 11:00. He was brought to shore where CPR was administered but it was unsuccessful. The only other "detail" mentioned was that he was a tourist.
Would help if the facts were correct. The diver did not die in front of Captn Dons nor were they staying there. The other resorts dive boat brought the diver to Captn Dons dock to meet medical personnel. It was Captn Dons Divemaster who managed the accident on their dock and the person did not make it.

Would help if the facts were correct. The diver did not die in front of Captn Dons nor were they staying there. The other resorts dive boat brought the diver to Captn Dons dock to meet medical personnel. It was Captn Dons Divemaster who managed the accident on their dock and the person did not make it.
The local news here is spotty at best. A whole "article" might be two sentences containing two errors.

Here's what passes for news here. This is from The Bonaire Reporter which comes out bi-weekly.

"April 7. A diver passed away. The control room received a report about a diver in trouble at sea around 11 a.m. The diver, a tourist, had gone diving with a group of a tourists. The man had become unwell while diving. The other divers brought the man up. CPR was im- mediately started on the boat as the boat returned to shore, but to no avail. The medical examiner confirmed the death a little later. The man with initials J.H.F.G. was born on September 1, 1952."

Apart from the specific case, which is sad, the number of incidents at one place to me is the odd one out. Past Covid infections may be a factor, lesser physical fitness or any other factors. I have no info on them but i can imagine that having an effect.

However, that should be apparent at more holiday destinations than just Bonaire, wouldnt it? I havent followed the exact travel restriction from the U.S. (and otjer countries) to the usual holiday spots but that could possibly be a reason (ie Bonaire being open for business while others are not). Otherwise i would expect the same things happening elsewhere too.

Apart from the specific case, which is sad, the number of incidents at one place to me is the odd one out. Past Covid infections may be a factor, lesser physical fitness or any other factors. I have no info on them but i can imagine that having an effect.

However, that should be apparent at more holiday destinations than just Bonaire, wouldnt it? I havent followed the exact travel restriction from the U.S. (and otjer countries) to the usual holiday spots but that could possibly be a reason (ie Bonaire being open for business while others are not). Otherwise i would expect the same things happening elsewhere too.
I thought the same thing. I did notice some fatalities in Florida in a bit of a cluster. Other than the two scuba divers we have had three snorkeling fatalities in the last few weeks as well. I'm not sure what to make of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom