Another BP/W convert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love the color of the rig!!!

Hi All,

I recently decided to give BP/W. Got a Hog setup from Scubaboard member Jim Lapenta @ UDM Aquatics, customer service was top notch, he helped me decide on the system and offered other advice on hose configurations etc. He also offered to thread the system for me which I refused as I wanted the experience of doing it myself. Following the packaged instructions and double checking with online resources made threading the system a breeze, I’d say that anybody who can follow instructions can set up one of these.

Here's the pictured setup:

View attachment 157550

My wife and I also switched to a 40" under the arm primary with secondary bungeed around the neck.. this setup makes so much more sense than the traditional secondary placement... your backup is a few centimeters away and its so seamless to donate air from your primary. Good stuff

I’ve only done one pool session with the new setup and after a crotch strap adjustment I must say hands down I will never revert to a traditional BC again, the system is extremely simple and clutter free it changes the whole experience, not to mention staying trim was easier than ever. At times it felt like I wasn’t even wearing anything as compared to my previous Mares Dragon.
So there it is, another recreational diver that has been convinced that BP/W’s are not only for Tec divers… I hope that stigma is removed soon so that more rec divers can enjoy what bp/w’s have to offer.

I have a dive trip at the end of the month and now I’m even more excited to put the new setup to practical use… it’ll be great

M

That's the HOG al backplate with the new this season option of the red harness. I've sold three of them like that so far and another two or three of the harness itself with steel plate setups. They do stand out.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Piranha sells different color webbing. Another place with an ever better selection is Strap Works.

My dive buddy and I saw BP/W configurations w primary donation and bungied backup on about or 12 dive, by or 20 dive it made so much since we switched over, by 50 dives went completely DIR (as we could)

Neither of us has looked back. It works, it's simple, it's comfortable.

IMO going all in on DIR is the way to go. I don't like the idea of piecemeal and trying to be smarter than the people who figured it out. Later after hundreds and hundreds of dives I'll be in a better place to judge the system, for now I just roll with it.

I highly suggest the DIR video from GUE. It's 7.5 hours of why. Very good stuff.

As for long hose I really like the 7, I've never tucked it in my belt as I've worn a center line knife since I got the rig. I would suggest that. Even after I got a canister light I still ran it under my knife for quite a while as it was easier than putting it under the canister.

Depending on drysuit, undergarments, thin wet suit, etc I have the choice of under the canister, under the knife or just routed not under anything if it's pulling at all.

I am in no way an expert, just a guy who also figured out BP/W long hose is the way to go and has about 100 dives now in DIR rigged singles and doubles. I can't see wanting to dive another way.

did some dives this weekend... absolutely no regrets that i switched, this thing is great... simple adjustment on the crotch strap after the first dive and i was good to go..

its great that i can put the d-rings where i want, and adjust everything to be exactly where IIII want it and not have to ignore my preference because i have no choice (as with typical bcds)..

not to mention everything is so clean and nice i dont feel encumbered at all.

the only thing i need to consider now is a pocket... any recommendations?

my DS has thigh pockets on both legs. My WS has a thigh pocket, and if I need more, I'll use a DR thigh pocket on the other side. If I didn't have those, I'd strongly consider pocket shorts....

I am slowly making the switch over to a more DIR/GUE style setup and when I asked one of the DIR/GUE divers in the area they recommended something like the Halcyon Weighted Bellows Pocket. He mentioned I could attach this on my Backplate belt and then wrap my hose under it similar to the canister light. Liking this idea I was curious if other pockets exist and found DR has one as well, which they do called the Bellows Zip Pocket w/ Daisy Chain. Gonna check out the DR since there is about an $70 swing between the 2 products.

The feature I like the most with the Halycon so far looks to be the way you can attach items to a small line inside the pocket to help keep stuff from emptying when you open it up. Not sure if the DR has it.

Cost is about 50 cents to add that line to any pocket. 8 inches to a foot of 3/16 bungee cord is required.

Thanks jim, but what about tools? I don't have any besides normal hammer, some screwdrivers etc. Even though it may be 50 cent for the part I may have to go shell out even more for the right tools/equipment to install it.

Thanks jim, but what about tools? I don't have any besides normal hammer, some screwdrivers etc. Even though it may be 50 cent for the part I may have to go shell out even more for the right tools/equipment to install it.

No tools required (most likely).

Surely there's a grommeted drain hole (or two or more).

Simply loop your bungee cord and feed the loose ends through the grommet from the inside to the outside. Then, tie a figure eight with both ends parallel as a stop knot. Pull on the loop to bring the stop knot up to the grommet and then tie a simple overhand knot next to the grommet on the inside of the pocket.

Easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom