Another braided LP hose failed. Phantom from DGX this time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know. DGX is superb in customer service. But I really don't think it is their fault. I will give them a call.

---------- Post added August 6th, 2015 at 01:47 PM ----------

When I think more about this, the big problem with this (Phantom at least) is the design of the hose, which use two mismatch materials in the wrong places. The outer layer of the these braided hose, Miflex or not, is very tough, very resistant to abrasion and wear. It is a good thing because hose look new after years of use. But the inner core is not as tough. In the case of Phantom, it is down right medicore material. The fish tank tube will sure get harden over time and crack. It is just the matter of time. The outer layer won't give any sign of this at all.

Now, I haven't cut up a Miflex hose, but I highly doubt the inner tube can be much better given the kind of flexibility it has. If anyone open up a Miflex and found the same plastic transparent fish tank tube inside, I think the end result will be the same - Inner tube degrade while outer layout show perfect condition. This is the most scary part.

Thinking back about how braided hose got popular, I think it all started about 4-5 years ago when the cost start to approach rubber hose. I still remember the reason I chose braided hose was because more than a few retailers were promoting them. I thought I gave a try. It also seems we suddenly see quite some issues with this hose lately, I wonder if that is the life span of this type of hose (with fish tank tube as inner core). Let's see if more of this type of failure comes up.

I know. DGX is superb in customer service. But I really don't think it is their fault. I will give them a call.

---------- Post added August 6th, 2015 at 01:47 PM ----------

When I think more about this, the big problem with this (Phantom at least) is the design of the hose, which use two mismatch materials in the wrong places. The outer layer of the these braided hose, Miflex or not, is very tough, very resistant to abrasion and wear. It is a good thing because hose look new after years of use. But the inner core is not as tough. In the case of Phantom, it is down right medicore material. The fish tank tube will sure get harden over time and crack. It is just the matter of time. The outer layer won't give any sign of this at all.

Now, I haven't cut up a Miflex hose, but I highly doubt the inner tube can be much better given the kind of flexibility it has. If anyone open up a Miflex and found the same plastic transparent fish tank tube inside, I think the end result will be the same - Inner tube degrade while outer layout show perfect condition. This is the most scary part.

Thinking back about how braided hose got popular, I think it all started about 4-5 years ago when the cost start to approach rubber hose. I still remember the reason I chose braided hose was because more than a few retailers were promoting them. I thought I gave a try. It also seems we suddenly see quite some issues with this hose lately, I wonder if that is the life span of this type of hose (with fish tank tube as inner core). Let's see if more of this type of failure comes up.

Buddhasummer actually cut a Miflex apart and posted it in this thread

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/511177-problem-generic-braided-hoses-3.html

Post # 45. By that photo the plastic inner tubing of the Miflex does look at least somewhat more robust.

Edit: Bold added to quote for clarification

Last edited:
Buddhasummer actually cut a Miflex apart and posted it in this thread

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/511177-problem-generic-braided-hoses-3.html

Post # 45. By that photo the plastic inner tubing of the Miflex does look at least somewhat more robust.

While the "MFX" (is that Myflex) may be more robust, I'd prefer the single layer homogenous "fish tank" tube that leaks over a tube that has an inner layer that crumbles cutting off gas supply while the tough outer tube prevents any sign of a leak. The latter is a potentially dangerous failure mode.

While the "MFX" (is that Myflex) may be more robust, I'd prefer the single layer homogenous "fish tank" tube that leaks over a tube that has an inner layer that crumbles cutting off gas supply while the tough outer tube prevents any sign of a leak. The latter is a potentially dangerous failure mode.
The OP of that thread had the hose marked MFX. That was the one that disintegrated. But the hose cut by buddhasummer had Miflex etched on the connector.

I actually started switching over to rubber hoses about a year ago. I never saw any benefit to braided hoses and did not like the abrasive feel of their outer sheath. Personal preference.

The OP of that thread had the hose marked MFX. That was the one that disintegrated. But the hose cut by buddhasummer had Miflex etched on the connector.

I actually started switching over to rubber hoses about a year ago. I never saw any benefit to braided hoses and did not like the abrasive feel of their outer sheath. Personal preference.

I think a few people might be digging out the hoses that came with their regulators until this is resolved- that's what I'm doing.
I just hope that the manufacturers sort this out quickly and it doesn't take someone somewhere becoming a statistic to make it happen!

I am quite confident (beyond any reasonable doubt) they are simply the evolved markings for Myflex hoses. I still have the Myflex waterproof pouch my MFX hose came in. Plus, if you research the Myflex HP hose CPSC recall, you will see the recall pictures hoses marked MFX. Unfortunately, the manufacturer seems reluctant to acknowledge this. Perhaps he thinks it is better for business leaving some element of doubt.

BTW, DGX is amazingly awesome. It would not surprise me if they did something for you on this. I would definitely call or email them about it.

I don't think they will do anything. I bought an HP hise from them as spare stock, it sat in a box for about a year IIFC, when I finally got round to using it it failed first time pressurized, contacted DGX they said as I had bought the hose over a year ago I was out of luck. TBO was a little surprised at their response given how much I buy from them but I understand their position as they had no way to know if I was telling the truth or not, was a little dissapointed I wasn't given the benefit of the doubt though. However they still remain my go to online store.

---------- Post added August 6th, 2015 at 07:29 PM ----------

Lesson learnt, try all hoses, gauges etc on arrival.

---------- Post added August 6th, 2015 at 07:31 PM ----------

I am quite confident (beyond any reasonable doubt) they are simply the evolved markings for Myflex hoses. I still have the Myflex waterproof pouch my MFX hose came in. Plus, if you research the Myflex HP hose CPSC recall, you will see the recall pictures hoses marked MFX. Unfortunately, the manufacturer seems reluctant to acknowledge this. Perhaps he thinks it is better for business leaving some element of doubt.

Id bet my life on it.

---------- Post added August 6th, 2015 at 07:34 PM ----------

I'll cut open a generic braided for side by side inner tube comparison.

---------- Post added August 6th, 2015 at 08:04 PM ----------

And I'll cut open an MFX marked hose. Take one for the team and all that.

i did some digging on the miflex website and it looks like the miflex 2 hoses are supposed to have polyurethane cores. i would not expect a PU core to have that kind of degradation from just air and seawater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom