Another fatal record attempt in Lake Garda, Italy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing about extreme deep diving is it's so far beyond the capabilities of even the keenest of technical divers that virtually all "lessons" coming from these extreme dives aren't relevant to the diving community as a whole.

For example would Shearwater create a special verson of a dive computer to go beyond 200m when there's literally a handful of people who'd need that? Sure, some people may buy the "special" one, like an Ammonite Special battery, but it's far from mainstream. Same with lights.

Genuine question: which dive computers are specified for a 350m/1150ft dive?
I know the Shearwater works 700+

JFK basically said, "Hold my beer. We're going to the moon." NASA managed to justify the stunt of landing on the moon.

Extreme deep diving for the heck of it was just as much of a stunt as going to the moon and just as recreational as doing anything stupid underwater while sport diving. It's just more difficult to justify it without NASA's marketing department. This next moon trip is being done just for the heck of it and being sold as a necessity to put a person of color on the lunar surface for one. It's a stunt. It just takes a bigger group to pull it off than a few guys. Most record attempts have a support team.
There are so few intelligent people that post on Scubaboard. I'd guess less than 10. While you drive me bonkers in 20 aspects of life since we've met, I do appreciate that you are one of the 10.

Well, she's also claimed that you have to suffer from a serious disorder (OCD) in order to dive a CCR.
I wonder what changed, seeing as she has one now.
People mature at different speeds. Maybe she's growing up. Someone implied earlier that she used to be racist and sexist. Now she's only sexist. That's progress. Give it a few more years... She might become a decent individual.

That's the only reason YOU can think of. That doesn't mean it's the only reason. I went to 500' a couple of years ago. It had nothing to do with ego. It had nothing to do with pretty stuff. It had nothing to do with any mission that most people would ever consider, but there was a valid reason to go, in my mind and several others.

People need to learn that while you can't conceive of any other perspective than your own, that doesn't mean there isn't another perspective.

Well, 500ft=150m is way less than 240+m and totally within a "safe" area (safe means that we are reasonably sure that no physiological surprises will happen in a normal person).

I am curious, why did you go? There may be plenty of good reasons, it would be nice to make us know if you don't mind :)

Show me anyone going to 1000' and welding? LOL
I mean, it's done dry, but it's a limitation of from hydrogen embrittlement wet welding, not the divers. Mostly done by robots now, but people had the capability going back to at least the 80's.

See for example:
Hyperbaric Welding at 300 MSW They report "An offshore demonstration of a full scale tie-in 300 m.s w. ..." and "Welding procedures were previously qualified at 300 m.s.w. with some manual welding test performed at 400 m.s.w."

And even before:
Hyperbaric Welding at 320 Msw, Development of Adequate Welding Procedures, from 1980 where they report "Norsk Hydro today have adequate procedures and knowledge to specify and supervise tie-ins at 320 MSW."

Supposedly you can still hire someone to 300msw with enough money, see for example "DNV-GL certified 300msw."

JFK basically said, "Hold my beer. We're going to the moon." NASA managed to justify the stunt of landing on the moon.

Extreme deep diving for the heck of it was just as much of a stunt as going to the moon and just as recreational as doing anything stupid underwater while sport diving. It's just more difficult to justify it without NASA's marketing department. This next moon trip is being done just for the heck of it and being sold as a necessity to put a person of color on the lunar surface for one. It's a stunt. It just takes a bigger group to pull it off than a few guys. Most record attempts have a support team.
Isn't going to the moon more like a commercial diver going to 500m/1500ft with three hundred people supporting them and hundreds of millions of dollars of kit including diving bells, saturation chambers, doctors, millions of litres of helium, the list goes on.

Doing a bounce dive to 350m/1150ft just to say: hey, I'm alive, look at my selfie, whilst using next to no support is definitely not the same thing.

I mean, it's done dry, but it's a limitation of from hydrogen embrittlement wet welding, not the divers. Mostly done by robots now, but people had the capability going back to at least the 80's.

See for example:
Hyperbaric Welding at 300 MSW They report "An offshore demonstration of a full scale tie-in 300 m.s w. ..." and "Welding procedures were previously qualified at 300 m.s.w. with some manual welding test performed at 400 m.s.w."

And even before:
Hyperbaric Welding at 320 Msw, Development of Adequate Welding Procedures, from 1980 where they report "Norsk Hydro today have adequate procedures and knowledge to specify and supervise tie-ins at 320 MSW."

Supposedly you can still hire someone to 300msw with enough money, see for example "DNV-GL certified 300msw."
Lol, look at my name. Then google Kirby Morgan Superlite 27. Trust me. I know the history. I also know the current application.

Agnes Milowka
Verna Van Schaik

Both seemed to thrive on coming as close to death as possible. Van Schaik's book title is apt for this discussion: Fatally Flawed: The Quest to be the Deepest.
I knew Agnes personally. She didn't thrive on being close to death. She thought she was immune to it. She just wanted to see everything as fast as she could. At least that's my opinion from the few conversations we had about safety.

That's the only reason YOU can think of. That doesn't mean it's the only reason. I went to 500' a couple of years ago. It had nothing to do with ego. It had nothing to do with pretty stuff. It had nothing to do with any mission that most people would ever consider, but there was a valid reason to go, in my mind and several others.

People need to learn that while you can't conceive of any other perspective than your own, that doesn't mean there isn't another perspective.
I was talking about the people who submit proof of that. They just want to be recognized for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom