Another LDS Experience Gone Sour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhotoTJ:
Open a shop, and see how frustrated you get.

Granted, there are ways to run a shop successfuly, we're doing well, but it still sucks when someone comes rolling in bragging how much they saved online.

Isn't Scubatoys an LDS that does not have that problem and it's associated frustrations. Why don't you model your shop after their's?

sdstahl:
The internet has changed the way everybody does business.

Truer words were never spoken!!

awap:
Isn't Scubatoys an LDS that does not have that problem and it's associated frustrations. Why don't you model your shop after their's?

Oh I bet ScubaToys has the same problems, they just don't have a chip on their shoulder and whine and complain and think people should feel sorry for them.

The reality of the situation is that while I do not agree with, or am in the practice of wasting a sales persons time if I know that I am going to purchase online, blowing up at a customer is unprofessional.

So what are the upsides of yelling at a customer.. hmmm, can not really think of any.

What are the downsides....

1. Other customers see this huge negative reaction, and walk out the door.

2. Customer in question is so uncomfortable they will never purchase anything again at that LDS.

3. Customer has very negative feelings, so he posts a huge rant on the net, and potentially the LDS in question now has worldwide negative exposure.

4. Customer has negative feelings, and tells every local diver he ever encounters about the entire transaction, which in turn promotes the very low prices of the internet to people who may have never even considered that an option...

I'm sure I can come up with more, but while I can certainly understand the frustration of the LDS, the behavior is unprofessional, and bad for business.

Another way to view this is what else does a salesman have to do with their time if not to attempt to sell? Most of the time I spend at the LDS is BS'ng with the salespeople, who love to discuss diving, and often have time on their hands.

As a photographer I often met with clients twice only to have them choose someone else. I guess I needed to contact those who chose a different photographer, and blow up at them to make sure that would never happen again so I would feel better.. right?

DrSteve:
Oh I bet ScubaToys has the same problems, they just don't have a chip on their shoulder and whine and complain and think people should feel sorry for them.
How can they have the same problem?? They match online vendors' prices..

Ron, you forgot:

customer is a psychotic computer nerd who will sabotage your ordering
system, your filing system, all your electronic records, and will electronically
order for you 10,000 extra extra large pink wetsuits.

Having spent quite a bit of time in sales, I can say this:

The salesperson screwed up by not asking questions. Had questions been asked, the buyer's budget would have come up.

Often, the customer is waiting for us to tell him what he wants.

Perhaps if the sales job had been done properly, the Hogarthian rig would have been the one to be tried out in the pool...

And this thread would not exist.

Also, with all due respect, this bullpoo about the obligation created by using the salesperson's time? OOooooo.. I just saw a Tampax commercial that must have cost a pretty penny to design, produce and air... I guess I'm obligated to go out and buy some (not sure what I'll do with them , though...) :D

"The salesperson screwed up by not asking questions. Had questions been asked, the buyer's budget would have come up."

Good point reminds of a salesperson I met at Home Depot once. Another customer was looking to buy a drill the salesperson was smoart enough to relize the person did not need a drill they needed a hole. When the salesperson found out what kind of hole they needed he SOLD them the correct drill. every one left happy.

There...

Chapter 1 of Marketing 101.

sdstahl:
"The salesperson screwed up by not asking questions. Had questions been asked, the buyer's budget would have come up."

Good point reminds of a salesperson I met at Home Depot once. Another customer was looking to buy a drill the salesperson was smoart enough to relize the person did not need a drill they needed a hole. When the salesperson found out what kind of hole they needed he SOLD them the correct drill. every one left happy.

abitton:
I just saw a Tampax commercial that must have cost a pretty penny to design, produce and air... I guess I'm obligated to go out and buy some (not sure what I'll do with them , though...) :D

Plug holes in the dive boat. Duh. :wink:

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom