Another LDS Experience Gone Sour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
How can they have the same problem?? They match online vendors' prices..

I was just in Scubatoys last Saturday buying my BCD - no more rentals, no more borrowing! - Zeagle Zena for those who'd like to know.
They took the time to fit me properly. I ended up with a small/medium/large - a large back, medium front, small shoulders.
They spent a great deal of time putting pieces together and taking them apart so I could get the perfect fit.
But you know, if I had decided in the store that none of their BCDs were working for me, maybe decided to investigate something they don't carry like a BP/W, I still have no doubt that the next time I showed up to get fins, service on my reg, etc. that they would behave in a professional and courteous manner.
I also get different things from different dive shops locally (Austin), but there are a few I won't set foot in because I know that they would consider me tainted as I have made purchases elsewhere.
As a shopper who has earned my money by working very hard, I reserve the right to shop where I please, and make you earn my money!

I like scuba shopping and I spend money but my recent experience has really put me off; I went to one of my LDS to buy a new 7mm wetsiuts of a particular brand. Note this is a place where I have certainly spent many hundreds of dollars, perhaps thousands.

They did not have anything even approaching my size in stock, in fact, they had hardly anything in stock so we measured up and agreed on what was probably the right option - "we will get it in for you". All good so far. Foolishly in retrospect I agreed to pay for it then.

When it arrived it was clearly not the right size for me so I asked that we look at other options. Then it all went pear shaped. I will not try and reproduce the dialog but the summary was - "we got it sent for you specially - we cannot send it back because it was a 'special order' (catalog size) - you have to buy it". After some pretty tense discussions they agreed to take it back for a credit and order a different one. When that arrived it was only marginally better but their attitude was so hostile that I took it anyway and spent a bunch of money getting it customized to fit. It is fine now but the process was both expensive and unpleasant.

I could have done the same transaction over the Internet with no issues about returning stuff that does not fit. There was nothing in the LDS to try on anyway.

The irony now is that they are only a few miles from my house, they sell gear I want to buy, they do courses I want to take, they are probably very nice people BUT I dont even feel comfortable going into the shop - it feels like a combat experience - not at all how I want to spend my leisure - or my money......

divereh:
ya ya ya and when it craps out make sure you ship back for warrenty to your internet vendor he might acknowledge you.

I've been diving for 25 years, and in that time I've had equipment that I've purchased from a dozen local dive shops 'abandoned' by the place I bought it when they closed or changed lines and couldn't/wouldn't support the lines they used to sell.

All this considered, your point is, well, pointless.

Tachyon

VITO CORLEONE
Santino, come here. Whattsa matter with you? I think your brain is going soft from all that comedy your playing with that young girl. Never tell anybody outside the family what you're thinking again!

Replace Vito Corleone with the Salesman's boss or partner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom