Another new one. Am I in the right place?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope, I don't have that problem but I've never free dove before either so..... Welcome to the board. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Hi my name is brian and i am a diving junkie
I know I have a problem but all I can do to fix it is change tanks and go down for more

WELCOME TO SB :scubadive

Hummmmmmmmm............gotta go with the scuba on this one, I like to spend a little longer looking around when I get there.

Welcome and enjoy.

Hi there! My name is Kayla, and I have been diving for over two years now. I hope that you enjoy your time spent here at ScubaBoard, and hopefully, you can share some of your experiences too! If I can help you with anything, send me a PM and I will do my best to help you! Otherwise, I hope to get to know you better around the boards!

Safe diving!
Kayla

Welcome to Scubaboard!

I first joined the board before I was scbua-certified. I was also fairly new at freediving. I spent a summer doing nothing but freediving (well, and sailing). Of course, last fall I got certified, and have been racking up scuba dives since then.

I still do both fairly regularly - unfortunately I have a greater "number" of scuba dives logged than freedives in part because it's so much easier to find buddies for scuba. It's a rare freediver who has never tried scuba - we get a lot of new freedivers out of scuba divers - but conversely, a lot of people who start with freediving, try scuba, get certified and never look back :(

This board is very scuba oriented ("scuba"board, go figure) so if yoy're looking for freedive specific information I would recommend Deeper Blue - they even have a sub forum for Scuba! They're a smaller board but reasonably active. And at least over there you know they've all freedived, and quite a number of them scuba also.

I have a question for you (I think it was asked once on Deeper Blue):
If you had to give up one of either scuba or freediving, and could never go back, which would you give up, which would you keep, and why?

Hello again. It's the right place, I'm sure. Thanks all of you for response. Next of mine will surely be a bit quicker.

FreeFloat. There are no answer to that question, but ... I would probably start flying as a helicopter pilot - it's one of my not-yet-achieved tasks of live.
Ad rem. Problem scuba-or-free is strictly practical. It's recommended not to freedive for at least 24 hrs (better 48) after scuba session. It especially applies to deeper (>18 m) and longer (>4hrs -session total of course, not uderwater) after decompresion scuba dives. As for me I don't know any medical research on that subject. It's just safety procedure backed with some logical thinking. But practically, if you are busy guy/girl with 5 vacation days in a row ... that's the problem. By the way, is there anybody with any medical knowledge on the subject? holdingmybreath, maybe you?

Mike

Welcome to SCUBA board. As has been said, just do both. Note of caution, doing SCUBA followed by free diving is a bad idea. Something about the nitrogen in the system and bubble formation. DocDeco in the Decompression Illness section has done a thread on this. Do a search.

As for me, strictly SCUBA

As a guideline for myself I'll use my Table B which gives the minimum times needed to return to a "pre-dive" state on the nitrogen loading - then consider myself "clean" enough to freedive. I still take it easy if less than 24 hours however.

Depends, you see....... after a 55 minute dive at 30' I only need 12 hours to be "clear"...... if my dive were for only 12 minutes at 70' I'd be clear in 9 hours.

pasley:
Welcome to SCUBA board. As has been said, just do both. Note of caution, doing SCUBA followed by free diving is a bad idea. Something about the nitrogen in the system and bubble formation. DocDeco in the Decompression Illness section has done a thread on this. Do a search.

As for me, strictly SCUBA

Pasley,
thanks for redirecting. Amount of knowledge/opinions is really impressive, and surely worth of reading.
Thanks again. By the way, freediving is really worth of trying!

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom