Another 'what should I get' post

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a good choice in the $400-$450 range, and while it's not hard to read, it is not OLED easy to read either.

The Sol and Luna have display options that let you select minimum information, but it displays that basic time and depth information in a very large format - but then again you're un the $800 plus price range, without the transmitter for the air integration.

All the Liquivision computers will turn on based on pressure. The Kaon/Xeo/Xen/Lynx check the pressure every 5 seconds even when 'off', to see if you accidentally started a dive and forgot to turn on the computer.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Thanks for the suggestions.. Liquivision is NICE, but more $$ than I'm willing to spend and honestly probably more bang than I need. I'm looking at the Oceanic Veo or Geo. Not sure if the Geo is going to be big enough display for me though. Anyone have one?

I probably should have said up front not interested in Suunto.....

If memory serves, last year Oceanic did a pretty sweet 'Black Friday' type special on their dive computers. If you can wait, I highly recommend waiting to see whether you might save some big bucks this time around.

Richard.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shearwater seems to get it to work pretty well. I've played with it to see how it works, and it works well, coming on at about 30 ft - about the time you think "crap..it's not working".

I agree with you on the lack of need however, as if the dive computer is off, you probably did not check it late enough pre-dive, but in the event a diver does forget, it's nice to have.

The issue I have with auto activation is that it is also normally accompanied with a battery saving feature that turns the computer off after i check it/set it pre-dive, and before I actually splash. That's a PITA and that not so helpful feature more or less necessitates the auto activation feature. I prefer the Shearwater approach where, for the most part it leaves me in charge of turning things on and off, with the pressure activation as a last ditch backup.

There is a distinction between auto-activation, as in turning on the display, and actually starting a dive, which requires pressure- actually a difference in pressure between some previously measured surface value and the current one. Establishing a surface/ ambient pressure needs to be a starting point- as Eric from Liquivision points out. If there isn't a good continuous sampling function that is active even when the computer is "off", then you could have serious issues if you auto started a dive at altitude, for instance.

It's an interesting user interface question. On the Cobalt (unfortunately, out of the OP's preferred price range), we treat the presence of water as a reason to get ready to dive in terms of the display, sample frequency, etc. If the computer is wet we keep the display lit for a long time expecting that pressure will come and a dive will start- wanting to avoid the issue you mention of a dark display when you're just getting ready to jump in, or if you are hanging out on a surface swim. Actually starting to record a dive is dependent on a time/ change in pressure relationship that tries to distinguish between just jumping in off the boat & sitting on the surface for a while, vs. actually starting a descent. In essence, a mini-algorithm that determines when a dive is starting.

Ron

The Oceanic computers are nice, and would recommend the VEO 3.0. A little bigger display and you have the option to do away with the wrist strap and go with a Elastomeric Bungee Ready Mount. When you get Oceanic computers and register them online you will also get a FREE Download code to Dive Computer Training. Interactive software to learn how to use your the computer. You will not be making a mistake with any of the Oceanic computers.

I could suggest a computer that meets nearly all you requirements with:

1) SIMPLE and easy to use

A very user friendly and intuitive interface, where you can (literally) figure out all the menus and functions in about 10 minutes without ever opening a manual.

2) EASY to read...I have mature eyes

An OLED display that is superb for mature eyes, and can be read from 18" to 15 ft away even with my 48 year old reading glasses dependent eyes.

3) Automatically turns on when it gets wet. This I must have, mine doesn't. Nuff said?

Automatic activation (not based on "wet: but rather "pressure" which is actually better as it won't activate or stay activated in a dive bag and/or if salt crystals bridge the contacts.

4) Nitrox capable

Nitrox mixes from 1% to 100% and up to 5 separate gasses pre-programed and on/off selectable on any dive.

5) Safety stop timer. Again, don't have this, want it.

Not per se, but it will display the current gradient factor telling you what advantage (if any) remains in a longer safety stop, or whether one is beneficial at all. That's better than just an arbitrary 3 minute or 5 minute stop timer as it gives you the information to make an informed decision of how long to stop.

6) Easy to find/push buttons. I can't remember what brand I borrowed from a friend, but the buttons were so tiny I couldn't hardly find them, forget about pushing them

Large, easy to find piezo electric buttons that cannot trap sand and won't stick.

7) I want to be able to customize or just turn off annoying audible alarms

What audible alarms?

----

But I won't suggest it as it will cost you about $800. You can't always get what you want at a budget price, so you;ll have to decide what matters most to you and either cut features or

I want the Petrel so bad. A guy came into the shop the other day and he had a Petrel that he got from Edd at cave adventurers, I fell in love.

AGREED! Shearwater Petrel's rock, I've been diving one since they released it! Can't keep them in stock, just got another order in today!!! Did not mention it in thread because of persons price range.

AGREED! Shearwater Petrel's rock, I've been diving one since they released it! Can't keep them in stock, just got another order in today!!! Did not mention it in thread because of persons price range.

Well then, if I am allowed to dive again, I know what I'll be getting for myself for a Xmas present.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom