Anti-DIR reg instructions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Burke once bubbled...
It adds to the confusion. Stowing those two long hoses would be a CF.

There are still advocates of a 25 foot hose running around out there. That's about as bad.

NO NO NO
The 25 footer is strictly a stroke hose. Uhh Uhhh he said stroke hose.

You need 50 feet of hose if you are going to get any work done with your gass supply anywhere out of the water. Tenders are always wanting to get into the water but when they do they want you to be on the surface on the other end of the hose. i.e. they want to be doing the diving.:D

It's quirk and we all have'em.Mine is pummeling deceased equine carcasses.BTW it's not nice to bring up people in a negative manner that are not currently arguing.Save derision for the appropriate poster.

OK, now I have to find the smiley I saw a while back. It was perfect for :deadhorse:. It was three smiley guys going at a dead horse with whips.

adder70 once bubbled...
OK, now I have to find the smiley I saw a while back. It was perfect for :deadhorse:. It was three smiley guys going at a dead horse with whips.

I remember seeing a guy with a "don't feed the trolls" sign a while back. It's a slow day, I'll se what I can turn up...

Dead horse

Score!

Now how do we get them to make it an official smilie?

Cincy - that IS funny. I like the guy on the nose, sort of giving it a nudge...

too funny.

MechDiver once bubbled...

Manuals are written by lawyers now, not people who actually use this stuff.

You're also a troll.

MD

I know something about trolling and lawyers. They do to use
dive gear and that was not a troll.

Lawman once bubbled...

I know something about trolling and lawyers.

I'll stipulate to that counselor.

about the same old debate.

I skipped the middle parts of the thread since the beginning and end said familiar things.

Although it's a generalization, and has some exceptions, the long hose primary is found mostly in technical diving. in fact, the long hose is a cave diving innovation to allow 2 divers to pass through restrictions in a line. initial usage called for the hose to be stowed and for the diver to breathe off the short hose, donatng the stowed long hose in an emergency. breathing the long hose as a primary is a later refinement of the technique.

I dive the long hose in technical dives, and haven't had an issue with out of air drills as the donor even deeper than 200fsw.

For sport diving applications, a properly (emphasis here on properly) maintained and secured alternate has not posed a problem on any of my dives. not even the two real alternate air ascents i've had to make (once as a donor and once as a receiver). In fact, I find that for teaching sport diving, an octopus is an invaluable safety tool, and I wear mine on the left side for ease of access and control when evaluating student skills.

A part of pre dive procedure is to review air source location and use with my buddies. in reality, unless i don't know my buddy, or i haven't trained them, i don't review that specific as part of the plan, but if i don't know you, you betcha i'll review that. and on technical dives, I always review this aspect.

my discussion doesn't even address other configurations like an alternate inflator, pony or spare-air type accessory, which can complicate the discussion even further.

i see viable uses for most of these alternates, and the only one i have a problem with is a diver who has none at all.

geoff

Back
Top Bottom