Anti-DIR reg instructions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Burke once bubbled...
No.

Do you have one?

Pipedope said, "Why do reg makers tell us that only a factory trained tech in a authorized shop can do any service on a regulator?"

Two which I replied, "The same reason car makers tell us that we shouldn't change our own oil," which was a snide way of agreeing with him. I don't know if any owners manual actually says, "don't change your own oil" but it doesn't matter. The point is that, when it comes to maintenance and repair, the motives for scuba manufactures are no different then car makers who encourage you to have your car worked on by "factory-trained service technicians".

"Do you see my point?" "No. Do you have one?"

This thread has had me laughing all the way through. Some of the back and forth is hilarious.

If an out of air diver swims up to me, he can have whichever regulator he wants. I won't grab it back because he took the "wrong" one.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Dude...any time you start a thread with "Anti-DIR" in the title, you are asking for a flame throwing, horse pummeling debate.

Who's responsible for the smilies? We need a :troll: and a :horsekick: .

There was a time when car makers said that you had to take your car to the dealer for all service including oil changes or your warrentee would be void.

They were sued and lost and now the laws against this type of behavior are enforced in the auto market.

The laws also apply to the scuba equipment market but they are not enforced.

Do I have a point?
Yes but when wearing a hood or helmet no one can see it. :D

The argument here is about whether it is better to put a longer hose on the primary or the octopus.

Why not put a long hose on both? Why is that not a "technical diver configuration"? It seems that it could eliminate potential confusion.

cornfed once bubbled... Pipedope said, "Why do reg makers tell us that only a factory trained tech in a authorized shop can do any service on a regulator?"

Two which I replied, "The same reason car makers tell us that we shouldn't change our own oil," which was a snide way of agreeing with him. I don't know if any owners manual actually says, "don't change your own oil" but it doesn't matter. The point is that, when it comes to maintenance and repair, the motives for scuba manufactures are no different then car makers who encourage you to have your car worked on by "factory-trained service technicians".
Which are probably the same as the manufacturer of the $15 clock sitting on my desk when he put "Refer servicing to qualified personnel" on the back.

# 4 supersized to go please.

I'm pretty sure we all know each others opinions by now.

But the real question is...Where is Capt. Karl?????

ew1usnr once bubbled... The argument here is about whether it is better to put a longer hose on the primary or the octopus.

Why not put a long hose on both? Why is that not a "technical diver configuration"? It seems that it could eliminate potential confusion.
It adds to the confusion. Stowing those two long hoses would be a CF.

There are still advocates of a 25 foot hose running around out there. That's about as bad.

Don Burke once bubbled...
It adds to the confusion. Stowing those two long hoses would be a CF.

It adds to the confusion? So there is already confusion? Wow... Stowing 1 long hose if perfect but stowing two turns it into a CF? Wow....

Back
Top Bottom