Antigua Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonhall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Not the likely place to go to dive, if you believe what you read, but when you can spend 2 weeks with good friends at a decent resort for $150, the diving turns out to be pretty good. Was there the last 2 weeks of January.

Let it be known that I communicated with Bryan Cunningham of DiveAntigua who's dive shop is on the south side of the island. He recommended a dive op, Indigo Divers, close to where I was staying, on the west side, as I was not renting a car and the taxi fare was very expensive, ~$40 one way.

Indigo Divers is run by a husband and wife. Only saw one other staff member the days I dove. All very nice and knowledgable of the dive sites. Convenient for me as I stayed about a 5 minute walk from their pickup on the boardwalk of Jolly Harbour. Their boat is well taken care of with a maximum of 8 divers plus 2 tank areas for dive masters. Payment was made each day, by credit card, on the boat before the dives. Multiple day discounts were given each day I dove. Water, juice, and cookies were provided during the surface interval. They kept my gear, rinsed it, and had it set up for the next day I dove. If you're diving one day only, there is no rinse area on the boardwalk. Also no separate fresh water rinse bucket on the boat for cameras, only salt water rinse for masks.

There is quite a bit of coral and sea life at the sites. Cades reef runs along the south/southwest side of the island. Some dives are outside the reef and some inside. Depths of the sites vary: deepest dive was 68 ft., most around 45-60 ft., with one site maxing out at 35 ft. Water temps are consistent at 81 degrees. Water is a little choppier on the outside of the reef as opposed to the inside. I know there are some deeper sites but we didn't hit those.

Sealife doesn't seem to be as shy as many other places I've been. Reef sharks and nurse sharks at most sites we dove. Pufferfish, trumpetfish, lobsters, eels, stingray, large angel fish, barracuda, lion fish, huge hawksbill turtle hiding under the reef, and flamingo tongue snails were some of the things seen as well as other fish.

Antigua may not be the place to go for diehard divers, but for a vacation diver with 2 cheap weeks, it was great!

BIG QUESTION: I've heard one dive op there allows collecting shells (molluscs, not bombs) live from their boats. Still true?

I'm curious; given that you saw a variety of animals, including commonly sighting sharks, why is Antigua not a dive hard dive destination for people with no other special reason to be there? What's holding it back?

BIG QUESTION: I've heard one dive op there allows collecting shells (molluscs, not bombs) live from their boats. Still true?

Haven't heard that. There are lots of shells on some of the beaches that people collect, but got the feeling that Indigo Divers played everything by the book regarding dives. One gentlemen tried to put gloves on but was told they weren't allowed.

Would be interested to know the name of that dive op. There aren't that many!

I'm curious; given that you saw a variety of animals, including commonly sighting sharks, why is Antigua not a dive hard dive destination for people with no other special reason to be there? What's holding it back?

Maybe because most of the diving is the same. No variety of walls, wrecks, topography, etc. Also only a few dives that are deep dives are available. Not sure what diving on sister island, Barbuda, is like. Would guess about the same. Just my thoughts.

Haven't heard that. There are lots of shells on some of the beaches that people collect, but got the feeling that Indigo Divers played everything by the book regarding dives. One gentlemen tried to put gloves on but was told they weren't allowed.

Would be interested to know the name of that dive op. There aren't that many!
Can't recall, and am away from home where I wrote it down. It may be a place that has been out of action somewhat as the owner was shark bitten (whoa, it does happen to divers, I guess). Or that could be a shop in Turks & Caicos where that happened. There are 2-4 shops in the Caribbean that allow collecting and maybe the same number in Mexico. I have researched this the last 10 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom