any awesome wrecks sites in philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveGolfSki:
Don't we have any UW grate sites within 130 feet? Or have is the RP just unlucky to have deep waters all around it?
If its similar to Truk Lagoon, where WWII wrecks are scattered over 77 square miles, the answer is no. I'm sure there's a lot of wrecks in the Philippines, but its either beyond the rec limit or simply havent been found.

subzero:
If its similar to Truk Lagoon, where WWII wrecks are scattered over 77 square miles, the answer is no. I'm sure there's a lot of wrecks in the Philippines, but its either beyond the rec limit or simply havent been found.

Truk's wrecks varies in depth as well apparently. I friend pointed me to this site:

http://www.thorfinn.net/truk_lagoon_wreckmap.html

While the naval battle in Truk was significant, I had heard that the sea battle at Leyte Gulf was no slouch either. Unfortunately, the depths there are a bit deep. :11:

Maybe we there's a banca graveyard around .... :D

Do any of you know if any of the ships sunk during the battle of Leyte Gulf (in and around Surigao and San Bernadino straits) are accessible? Now those would be some incredible wrecks to dive if they're not all too deep.
Rick
Just to resurrect an old post!!
They are all too deep ie. well in excess of 100m.
There are five Japanese and at least one US destroyers around Ormoc Bay. Rob Lalumiere, USA national, dived USS Cooper(193m) back in 2001 and his subsequent attempt to dive IJN Shimakaze(250m) in 2005 was eventually cancelled due to whatever reasons.
The shallowest wreck in that region is probably IJN Kuwa at 100m and some HK divers dived on it about 10yrs ago. The other three Jap. destroyers are supposed in around 150m deep.

Even if the seabed around PR is raised by 100m could still make those wrecks too deep for any meaningful dive.

---------- Post added September 14th, 2014 at 09:51 AM ----------

Truk's wrecks varies in depth as well apparently. I friend pointed me to this site:

http://www.thorfinn.net/truk_lagoon_wreckmap.html

While the naval battle in Truk was significant, I had heard that the sea battle at Leyte Gulf was no slouch either. Unfortunately, the depths there are a bit deep. :11:
There was not any naval battle at Truk, it was only target practicing by US warplanes on anchored cargo ships. The warships had left a day or two earlier. While the sea battles off the coast of Leyte/Samar were something else.

Another vote for the Coron Bay wrecks. Irako Maru is my favourite dive in the area. The visibility is usually not that great but not bad either. On average, expect around 15 to 20m.

Having said that, once you get close, the viz improves dramatically. It is almost eerie on some dives when the wreck suddenly looms out of the murk as you close-in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom