Any comments on the ACR 2881 ResQLink+ PLB Floating PLB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, you can have millions of divers spend $200 on beacons or you can get thousands of boats to implement better accountability systems.
Yeah, if you could fix all things. I can only try to fix my own situations.

Sorry I did not see this post sooner. That is a great deal. I have owned a PLB for about seven years. You can take it anywhere. Hiking. Boating. Diving. Flying. Driving in remote areas.

People do die even hiking. I read about recent death at the Wave hike that may have been a happy ending with a $200 PLB. Or the folks who climb Mt Rainier when a storm is coming. With a PLB, the search part of Search and Rescue is taken care of.

I take my PLB on hikes close to town where cell phone coverage is iffy.

Well, you are kinda gadget happy with the "safety" toys. I'm betting between your O2, CO, PLB and whatever other toys you have you've probably spent $1000 on safety for things that are pretty rare events.

I know you also follow all the A&I events around the world and I'm not saying your choices are bad choices. I'd be the first to be saying "f*** I should have listened to DandyDon" but from a real world perspective one has to wonder the practicality of having all this stuff for recreational diving.

You've clearly made your choice and I respect you for it.
Kinda, but low cost technology just wasn't available decades ago. Now that it is, good ideas abound. You can laugh at the snorkel vest I wear on dive boats too, but sometimes a good idea. One dive boat sank off the UK this week - see A&I.

Sorry I did not see this post sooner. That is a great deal. I have owned a PLB for about seven years. You can take it anywhere. Hiking. Boating. Diving. Flying. Driving in remote areas.

People do die even hiking. I read about recent death at the Wave hike that may have been a happy ending with a $200 PLB. Or the folks who climb Mt Rainier when a storm is coming. With a PLB, the search part of Search and Rescue is taken care of.

I take my PLB on hikes close to town where cell phone coverage is iffy.
I posted it in General Travel, but it got moved. :(

So which model do you have? I guess you've had the battery replaced in 7 years? Or was it about as cheap to replace it?

I read a story recently about the Wave hike having a lot of fatalities. There are many warnings, instructions, guides of hire - but many get lost in that confusing terrain. But there's news of lost/dying hikers everyday I guess. I should have got one of these long ago. $200 for 5 years, or rent one cheaply for a trip. Personal Locator Beacon Rental | PLB Rental

Revising this thread because of some wifely concerns for an upcoming trip. How has the ACR ResQ+ worked out for you so far? The $200 rebate would have been great, but I do see a $50 rebate for this summer, so I'm thinking about it. Any thoughts?

Revising this thread because of some wifely concerns for an upcoming trip. How has the ACR ResQ+ worked out for you so far? The $200 rebate would have been great, but I do see a $50 rebate for this summer, so I'm thinking about it. Any thoughts?
Be sure you know what dive cannister you can get for it. Took me a while to find one for my Aqualink View.

Be sure you know what dive cannister you can get for it. Took me a while to find one for my Aqualink View.
For right now, I wouldn't be using it for diving, so the canister issue can wait. But I will definitely look for the proper canister...one that was previously mentioned looks like a great option, except for the fact that it was more than the cost of the PLB. :(

For right now, I wouldn't be using it for diving, so the canister issue can wait. But I will definitely look for the proper canister...one that was previously mentioned looks like a great option, except for the fact that it was more than the cost of the PLB. :(
I got mine from HDVSEATEK (add @gmail.com for the email address). It was a fair price, much less than the PLB. I'd suggest getting one sooner than later, in case PLB's change sizes (likely) and the canister that would fit yours is no longer available (possible).

wifely concerns for an upcoming trip. How has the ACR ResQ+ worked out for you so far?
Good for the wife...!!
banana218.gif

It's not something that you use exactly, unless you have a life & death emergency - so I haven't used mine, but still count on it. The company has many, successful rescue stories on their web site. Almost 90% of the activations are handler mistakes so don't have one of those; I carry mine in a snug pouch that protects it from such - then inside my backpack or car console, unless I am diving. If you have a real rescue and return the spent unit with that story, they give you a new one for free.
banana105.gif

The $200 rebate would have been great, but I do see a $50 rebate for this summer, so I'm thinking about it. Any thoughts?
I don't think there ever was a $200 rebate on this unit. That's the net cost of a $250 unit with the current $50 rebate. Worth the money at either price, but it's always great to save $50.
banana205.gif

But I will definitely look for the proper canister...one that was previously mentioned looks like a great option, except for the fact that it was more than the cost of the PLB.
I rented the heavy aluminum canister a couple of times, then found this one: CANISTER for PLB: SCUBA Diver Emergency Locator Beacon/VHF Marine Radio. Lighter and much more affordable. Do read the instructions on the site HDVSEATEK site about silicone greasing the o-ring I think. I can't find that right now, but it's good.

I cannot imagine it fitting inside a BC pocket as he suggested, but I use a heavy cable tie and a bolt snap to clip it to a D ring.

I got mine from HDVSEATEK (add @gmail.com for the email address). It was a fair price, much less than the PLB. I'd suggest getting one sooner than later, in case PLB's change sizes (likely) and the canister that would fit yours is no longer available (possible).
I just got one of those canisters off ebay from Australia. Have not tested it yet. But FYI, it comes with a disclaimer that states the canister "will leak" if you don't keep the o ring very well lubricated. I was a bid dismayed that fact wasn't mentioned up front on ebay. The practice of applying a small amount of lubricant on an o ring normally should protect the o ring, not help enable a viable seal. Also I have read discussions where other customers have had trouble with leaks. My other concern is the fact that solid and streamlined mounting options are a bit limited given it's design. But for the price, IF it keeps water out, it is a good option for that PLB.

I just got one of those canisters off ebay from Australia. Have not tested it yet. But FYI, it comes with a disclaimer that states the canister "will leak" if you don't keep the o ring very well lubricated. I was a bid dismayed that fact wasn't mentioned up front on ebay. The practice of applying a small amount of lubricant on an o ring normally should protect the o ring, not help enable a viable seal. Also I have read discussions where other customers have had trouble with leaks. My other concern is the fact that solid and streamlined mounting options are a bit limited given it's design. But for the price, IF it keeps water out, it is a good option for that PLB.
I've been meaning to dive with it and test it out empty. On my todo list.

Back
Top Bottom