Any comments on the ACR 2881 ResQLink+ PLB Floating PLB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Custom Divers canister is much smaller. I had to slice about a 1/16th of an inch off my ResQLink+ antenna to fit it. There's a US distributor out of Seminole, FL.

Despite the size of the ones you guys have which aren't very streamlined, at least you could fit an energy bar and perhaps even a caprisun or some other flexible drink. Having just heard a first hand account of a 5 hour drift, one of the things that stood out from the story was the dying of thirst. With every hour I imagine it gets worse and worse as you continue to take in saltwater and throw up.

Despite the size of the ones you guys have which aren't very streamlined, at least you could fit an energy bar and perhaps even a caprisun or some other flexible drink. Having just heard a first hand account of a 5 hour drift, one of the things that stood out from the story was the dying of thirst. With every hour I imagine it gets worse and worse as you continue to take in saltwater and throw up.

Don't ask why (I just like it) but I always keep one or two juice squeeze packs in a pocket on every dive. No need to put them in the canister.

Something like this: Mott's® Snack & Go Natural Applesauce Pouch

So, is mine bigger than yours DD?
Is that your Donald Trump impression...??

I am confused by your photo as it looks like it is 7" long outside dimensions. while mine measures about 5.5" outside length.

The small is 70mm x 130mm/5.12" inside.
The large is the same width, but longer: 70mm x 150mm/5.9" inside.

Is that your Donald Trump impression...??

I am confused by your photo as it looks like it is 7" long outside dimensions. while mine measures about 5.5" outside length.

The small is 70mm x 130mm/5.12" inside.
The large is the same width, but longer: 70mm x 150mm/5.9" inside.

I'll measure properly tomorrow - let you know. Then I'll check the canister too.

Having just heard a first hand account of a 5 hour drift, one of the things that stood out from the story was the dying of thirst. With every hour I imagine it gets worse and worse as you continue to take in saltwater and throw up.
That is a scary situation. I guess a gallon of water wouldn't be too much then, but it doesn't seem feasible. Was that guy carrying a PLB? If not, it could have saved time.

That is a scary situation. I guess a gallon of water wouldn't be too much then, but it doesn't seem feasible. Was that guy carrying a PLB? If not, it could have saved time.

No PLB. He was found drifting by a passing boat at about 6pm. Lucky.

DD - mine is definitely the smaller one. The eBay description claims that it EASILY fits into a BC pocket. I seriously doubt that this FATBOY fits easily or otherwise into a BC pocket. Perhaps one of those rollout zipper pockets. I clip mine to a hole in the plate with a large boltsnap. Works fine and is unobtrusive. I will be lubing the ring from now on. Thanks for that advice.

Thanks for all the info guys. Sounds like the smaller one is definitely the way to go for me. I wonder if I could cut out a custom-fitted piece of foam to hold the PLB more securely (despite giving up some of the extra room for energy bars or drinks)? How often does it say to lube the ring(s)?

Don't need to custom fit foam. PLB is secure in there without foam or candy bars. Teeny bit of wobble but nothing to worry about.

Went back and forth at the last minute between the Custom Divers canister and the HDVSEATEK/OZ one. Looks like some issues were had previously with the Custom Divers one, and its size seemed way too close to the size of the PLB (114 mm vs 115 mm) for me. I do like the idea of having a little bit of extra room for other small items, so I went with the one from HDVSEATEK. I'll definitely test it out empty first though for a confidence boost. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom