any deals on media?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina:

I am definitely in water tomorrow and looking forward to it!
It was raining cats and dogs this morning and they cancled the boat :17:
I hope for tomorrow

alcina:
Yeah, that still seems pretty slow...Rand is saying 3 - 4 seconds on his Lexar x30 card...

I still find this hard to believe. The quickest I would say is around 8 - 9 seconds. My reasoning is that in a Canon 300D DSLR managed a maximum write speed of 1.288 MB/s with a Lexar 2GB 80X write accelerated card.

So for a raw file from a 5050 which is around 7MB on average is still 5.4 seconds. Any DSLR will absolutley kill the processors in a compact digi.

The D70 since it is newer has been built to make quick transfers and has what appears one of the fastest transfers on the market - it is able to transfer at about 4.5 MB/s with the fast cards still around a 1.5 second transfer of a 7MB file.

Considering this;
The 300D can only writing at a maximum of 9X.
The D70 is writing at a maximum of around 30X (impressive).
The 5050 however will struggle to write at more than 4X-6X.

Which being generous is about 1 MB/s (actually less)
Resulting in a maximum speed write of around 7 seconds (considering I overestimated more like 8 seconds). So a card with a faster write speed than about 10X will have negligible gains in performance for a camera like the 5050.

LukeRob -

That is one of the reasons it is so tough to choose a card...the numbers should dictate that the cards are all similar. However, people I trust have timed their shots repeatedly and gotten wildly varying results.

I want a fast card for those times I need it...most of the time even the 13 seconds for mine doesn't worry me too much!

OK, I took a picture in Raw and it took as long as it took on the surface....

lukeROB:
I still find this hard to believe. The quickest I would say is around 8 - 9 seconds. My reasoning is that in a Canon 300D DSLR managed a maximum write speed of 1.288 MB/s with a Lexar 2GB 80X write accelerated card.

So for a raw file from a 5050 which is around 7MB on average is still 5.4 seconds. Any DSLR will absolutley kill the processors in a compact digi.
My (now old) Transcend 30x 512MB writes a C5050 RAW in 4 seconds flat (method: half-press, then stopwatch started from full shutter release to the card lights stop flashing).
I know (another member) that the Sandisk 1 GB Ultra II card also writes in 4 secs.
So the Transcend 30x on paper has a transfer speed of 4.5MB/s (150KB/s x 30). In reality, with the C5050 about 1.7MB/s (about 12x ??).
The Sandisk, touted at 9MB/s (60x) achieves the same transfer rate on the C5050, possibly indicating that the C5050 peaks at about 1.7MB/s or 12x.

ReyeR:
My (now old) Transcend 30x 512MB writes a C5050 RAW in 4 seconds flat (method: half-press, then stopwatch started from full shutter release to the card lights stop flashing).
I know (another member) that the Sandisk 1 GB Ultra II card also writes in 4 secs.
So the Transcend 30x on paper has a transfer speed of 4.5MB/s (150KB/s x 30). In reality, with the C5050 about 1.7MB/s (about 12x ??).
The Sandisk, touted at 9MB/s (60x) achieves the same transfer rate on the C5050, possibly indicating that the C5050 peaks at about 1.7MB/s or 12x.

Indeed this is the point I was trying to make. Since I don't own a 5050 I was making an educated guess from other figures. If the 5050 is able to write at 1.7MB/s this is very quick and good for all you owners.

But this just proves the point that there will be a maximum write speed. Think of pumping water through a pipe - when your pump is maxed out the water just can't come out the other end any faster than it is.

Also note that card companies usually quote the card read speed - which is very different from the write speed.

I agree with you, the C5050 will peak, but it holds out quite well against the 300D. Frankly, I think the 300D is poor re: write speeds, the D70 absolutely creams it. Heck, even my C5050 is faster....

The figures quoted are write speeds, but usually these are under ideal and optimised conditions.

ReyeR:
I agree with you, the C5050 will peak, but it holds out quite well against the 300D. Frankly, I think the 300D is poor re: write speeds, the D70 absolutely creams it. Heck, even my C5050 is faster....

I agree here, the 5050 definatley seems better than the 300D. I'd be very disappointed with the speeds of a 300D.

Yes I too would love to own a D70 - I am getting awefully tempted.

Back
Top Bottom