Any ex navy divers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Momentum and inventory is my guess. Yokes do the job and there are so many regulators, spares, and valves spread all over the fleet that converting to DIN would be hard to justify. And then there's all the manuals... the military has manuals for everything.

Maybe, but it looks about right to me. It's a harassment dive in a 10' pool so there's a lot of fast unpredictable moves.
Thanks but I as referring to all the hand sculling in the open water clips (about minute 2:40). Wouldn't be surprising for a beginning diver, but. .

Thanks but I as referring to all the hand sculling in the open water clips (about minute 2:40). Wouldn't be surprising for a beginning diver, but. .

Navy diver's don't spend much time on Scuba so good form isn't a priority. These guys divers spend more time walking on mud bottoms or hanging off hog-lines than swimming. Notice that they aren't using doubles manifolds with an isolation valve and dual regulators either.

Biggest tip is that if it is not in writing from your recruiter, nothing was promised. From a USAF perspective, there are usually options for specific jobs. They will often leave you in DEP status for longer awaiting dates/openings. But, as was already stated, many other issues can occur during training that result in disqual/reclass into a different career field. For example, I have known Airmen trying for Loadmaster on the cargo planes, find out they had vertigo on their first flight halfway through training, forcing a reclass.

Any Divers from 72-78 Experimental Diving Unit or on the USS South Carolina, any Saturation divers who can explain what they did on Nuclear Ships? Thanks

Nuclear ships or submarines? There were no saturation diving systems on nuclear surface ships but there was some on a few subs doing highly classified espionage work. This is probably one of the best books on the subject: Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story Of American Submarine Espionage
Yes, thanks... I think I sent you a message. I couldn't get any of his files because, indeed they were still sealed. Thank you for the link.

Yes, thanks... I think I sent you a message. I couldn't get any of his files because, indeed they were still sealed. Thank you for the link.

Did he spend any time at the Mare Island Naval Shipyard in the San Francisco Bay? Did he ever mention the USS Halibut (SS-232), USS Seawolf (SSN-21), or the USS Parche (SSN-683)? How about Submarine Development Group 1 in San Diego? All these boats (submarines) are decommissioned now but were involved with Operation Ivy Bells. "Special Projects" was also a common term for these operations.

Back
Top Bottom