any experience with reef encounters out of Cairns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EZHOOPS

Contributor
Reaction score
going on a live a board from Cairns called reef encounters. Anyone have any experience with these dive boats. Also doing a night dive with them.
we are diving the GBR.

thanks

I haven't been but are considering them for a one night liveaboard for my trip in early Sept. My friend went with them a year ago and she said she loved it, said great food, nice cabins, good staff, etc. Please post a report of your opinion after you go.

Have fun, Kari

My wife and I did a 2-day liveaboard with them last week. Overall, really great experience. We are VERY new certified divers and, aside from feeling just a little rushed to keep on their dive schedule, we had a great time. A few warnings...
You take Compass Cruises to get out to Reef Encounter. The boat was really crowded there and back - we were lucky to grab seats for the 2-hour trip. If you don't have your own stuff (ours was lost by the airline!), you claim an old, torn wetsuit and fins on Compass, only to have it lost in the mix by the time you reach Reef Encounter - kind of a free-for-all.
On Reef Encounter, they kept the cabins really cold. And don't expect to spend much time in their "hot"tub - luke warm at best.
Otherwise, good food, comfy rooms, very friendly, helpful staff and good dive sites. Enjoy the night dive and drag yourself out of bed for the 6:15am dive.
Have fun!

Sorry, almost forgot...They didn't tell us this, but on the way back to Cairns, Compass makes another dive/snorkel stop. We were all packed up, so we just sat there waiting.

Well worth it, just for the views!!!!
Nothing like arriving in style with a whole heap of digital images of the Reef Encounter and the GBR that you've just taken from the air (Chopper is best;-).

Best money you've ever spent in memories when you get back home too.

Avoid the 'Compass' it's really a cattleboat of snorkelling daytrippers on most occassions.

WizFomOz :happywave

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind I'm going next week. Do they offer any other options other than the compass for getting out there?

thanks

Not that I know of. I don't remember seeing another option on the website and never saw anyone transferring off a different boat.

Do you know if you can upgrade to the chopper ride? I would prefer that than going on a cattle ride with all my own scuba gear. Not to mention avoiding a 2 hour boat ride, yuck,!

sorry I have so many questions. I'll be there in about 5 days.

thanks

Reef Encounter, encountered, the aftermath.
first the facts:

Reef encounter uses the Compass boat basically as your taxi to the actual dive boat. The compass is the oldest boat in the harbor without a doubt. Its beat up and uncomfortable and fills up quickly. If not the first ones to board you could be stuck outside upstairs. It takes you 2 1/2 hours to reach the Reef Encounter boat which then you and your luggage are taxied again on an even smaller boat to the Reef Encounter boat.

Once aboard Reef Encounter: The boat isn't too bad, the jacuzzi is luke warm at best and half full of water. The rooms are OK, just basic with a slight moldy smell.

The Dive Experience: I'm a newbie diver so keep that in mind.
to have your dive lead costs an extra $10. keep that in mind. Entering the water off the boat can be tricky as you are on a platform and you think that you could basically fall off into the water but its not that easy. So be careful upon entering. The dive sites are pretty good, I did see a lot of bleached corals and storm damaged corals but overall a decent site. One thing to remember the dive staff cannot convert BAR to PSI or FEET to METERS so be prepared.

THE NIGHT DIVE: Well almost got seriously injured attempting this dive. The dive leader for this dive was a young kid who I learned afterward has only been a dive master for 4 months. The seas were very rough and we should not have been diving. Being new I thought these guys dive here daily and they should know better than I. So My wife and I attempted the night dive. The problem was the dive leader kept us above the water for a good 10 minutes before attempting to descent. During this 10 minutes we were faced with having to swim for our lives against the current to prevent from being smashed up against the dive boat deck. After finally attempting to descent the dive master suddently ascended and we were all up again on the surface swimming for our life. My wife a successful college swimmer was exhausted (I was about to drown) and told the dive master she was exhausted and aborting the dive, as was I. He repeated tried to convince us to continue on with the dive. At this point there was four of us hanging on for dear life to the mooring line. One girl was in a panic, screaming to get out of the water. The entire time the dive leader was trying to convince us to continue on with the time. He made no attempt to help us get back onto the dive boat at all. In fact he went down with a single diver and left three of us at the surface. It took my wife and I 15 minutes to just get on the dive platform to get out of the water.

The next morning the dives were better but we were shaken from the night before.

THE FOOD: The food is ok basically just a simple good meal nothing special.

THe Crew: The crew was ok and nice but I found out a few interesting things to note. Most of the crew works for free Dives, meaning they don't actually get paid they just work and their pay is being able to dive for free. The capt is a nice person but looks like he is about 18.

Good luck and hopefully you'll have a better experience.

Back
Top Bottom