Any female DMs or Instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are two instructiors at my local dive shop. I was certified mainly by the male instructor. As a female diver, I dive more often with the female instructor and I feel more comfortable asking her questions. I think it is a female bonding thing.

I'm a female instructor and I have taught at both a dive shop and a university for the past two years. I've had many females come and ask me questions that they just don't feel comfortable asking male instructors such as questions about menstruation and the like.

I've also had females come into the dive shop and request female instructors as they just feel they can relate more.

You may also run into the problem of the male who thinks they are better than females and has to try and prove you wrong. I've run into a couple of those guys in my few years of teaching and they think that women should not be teaching and will fight you the entire course. (you run into all kinds of people in teaching). Just a head's up to be prepared.

If you're thinking about becoming a DM or an instructor, I suggest helping out with a few classes at your local dive shop and see if you like it. It's a very different view of diving and personally you need to be able to separate teaching diving from your recreational view of diving otherwise you can get burned out in it as a career. Always make sure to dive for fun and keep up the excitement. I've seen many instructors/DMs (both male and female) get burned out because they don't get the chance to dive for fun on a regular basis.

scubaotter:
Call it a possible mid-life crisis or anything else but, I am seriously considering becoming a divemaster and/or instructor in order to change careers.

Has anyone had a female dive master or instructor? Did they feel more comfortable with a female rather than a male? Has anyone become a drive master or instructor and begun a career in diving?

Any feedback would be wonderful!!!

My first true open water dive (read: in the ocean off a boat, rather than off shore) was with a female DM. She was amazing. She made sure I got over my initial bout of jitters and sea-sickness, and even brought fruit and cookies for between drives and the ride home. :wink:

I was more comfortable with her than I was with her husband the day before on our shore dive :)

My wife is not a divemaster although she usually attends my owd checkouts. I've found that most female students approach her with questions before and after dives.

This has encouraged her to become an instructor herself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom