Any female DMs or Instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikesp
I don't think sex comes into it, just competence.
...I´d better not poke that one with a stick :eyebrow:

Seriously Shannon I think you should go for it!
If its what you really want, you shouldn´t let anything keep you from doing it (sounds like you didn´t really need that piece of advice)...

Like someone said, mixed genders are IMO, better in the same way that different personalities and teaching styles are better. Seeing someone do what we´ve always done one way, differently, makes us stop and reflect on our own actions. I´m sure you´ll bring more to the world of DMs then your gender so just go for it and enjoy the ride!

scubaotter:
Call it a possible mid-life crisis or anything else but, I am seriously considering becoming a divemaster and/or instructor in order to change careers.

Has anyone had a female dive master or instructor? Did they feel more comfortable with a female rather than a male? Has anyone become a drive master or instructor and begun a career in diving?

Any feedback would be wonderful!!!

Shannon-

Just be careful and have a thorough plan. I am a female divemaster, but I didn't quit my day job. I don't think I could make a living being a Divemaster, not even by living in a tent. As an instructor, I could get by, but if you are planning this as a career, just make sure you investigate it fully as it can be a tough way to make a living.

I don't want to sound negative, and I just want you to be careful!

Good Luck!

Julie

I've been a DM and moved to AI last year... I am currently studying for my IE and think that I will make a possitive impact in the diving industry. DO it because you LOVE it... because you won't get RICH at it!!

My 2 cents!

scubaotter:
Call it a possible mid-life crisis or anything else but, I am seriously considering becoming a divemaster and/or instructor in order to change careers.

Has anyone had a female dive master or instructor? Did they feel more comfortable with a female rather than a male? Has anyone become a drive master or instructor and begun a career in diving?

Any feedback would be wonderful!!!

I was the oldest IDC Candidate in my class, and one of the oldest at my IE. But I went for it.

Being female has never entered into being in a DM (and ultimately an Instructor): you either want to be one & become the best one you can be, or you don't. Gender has nothing to do with it.

So, to shamelessly steal the Nike slogan: Just do it.

FYI, I am a female PADI IDC Staff Instructor.

Hey, go for it!

Go for it, there are not enough women in the dive industry.

Guys like being taught by girls, girls like being taught by girls.

I have had both male and female instructors (and taught both as well). I think it is more a thing of each individual than what sex he or she may be.

There is no reason why you would not make a great DM or instructor if you have the skills, are good with people and love what you are doing.

Equality for all (or die)!! :>}

ScubaDadMiami:
I think it is more a thing of each individual than what sex he or she may be.

Well as long as he is a "he" and she is a "she" that's OK. :wink:

Everyone, thank you for your kind words!!

I am currently in the process of looking a several different training schools, the associated costs of training, insurance, etc. Right now I don't believe it would be a full time job but, at the very least it is something I want to do on the side.

It is nice to know that there are some women out there (yes, the guys are important too!) working in this career field.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom