Any fossilers wanna show off some photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello darkwater .... That black tooth of course belongs to Eberlein (Savannah GA). They don't come easy. He spends his time in total darkness, unlike the tannin stained water here in Charleston. We have some viz with a light and sometimes we have a little viz without a light. He has no viz even with a light. He pays his dues. He sells his specimens at MegaTeeth. I promote his site because frankly I think he has a hard job. I do it strictly as a hobby. Well I suppose that is not entirely true. I have sold a few.

Well Hello Mike .... hope all is well. Long time no see your screen name. Okay you have triggered my video mode. Gonna make a video clip of the Mastodon tooth. Will post it. Frankly, when I found it I knew it was significant when I felt it. That was a fabulous gravel bed I was in. It was a little bit in front of you that day. It had gravel the size of your fists and LOTS of it. I was totally surprised that I was NOT picking up tooth after tooth. Was getting bored so I started running my hands all about each side of me and just feeling for teeth, Saber Toothed Tiger Skulls, OR anything out of the ordinary array of stones. When my left hand stumbled upon the Mastodon it immediately picked it up as if it were programed. Knew I had something, was not sure what it was. The Mastodon plus the 4" Golden colored quality Meg I picked up that day made it a trip to remember.

Mastodon tooth found in the Edisto river 2011
100_8519.jpg

Last edited:
Some from the water and some from the road in North Port.

Attachments

• 06'11 1st Meg. teeth (big ones) & sting ray barb part-boat dive - Copy - Copy.jpg
    06'11 1st Meg. teeth (big ones) & sting ray barb part-boat dive - Copy - Copy.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 378
  • got these 2 walking the dog-dug'em out of the asphalt 7-12-11.jpg
    got these 2 walking the dog-dug'em out of the asphalt 7-12-11.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 302
  • got these dog walking 07-13-11.jpg
    got these dog walking 07-13-11.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 183
Man Lee, I cannot wait to get back into the water. I would love to do it right now but I need a drysuit. The water is hovering around 50 degrees in the rivers.

Mike I completely understand. About ten years ago I was looking at dry suits. Somehow over the years I became a warm water diver. I did finally make the video clip on the Mastodon tooth. Now all I have to do is somehow make sure my kids don't toss the Mastodon tooth out (and others as well) after I croak.

Various SC fossils found in Edisto and Cooper rivers. Including a Mastodon tooth, Scallops, Murex, Megalodon, and Angustiden sharks teeth
[video=youtube_share;3WEJzKHf8Bs]http://youtu.be/3WEJzKHf8Bs[/video]

here is my haul from one tank on 1/21/12...water temp was 51 and viz was awesome......(for the cooper haha).....I also shot the dive with the gopro2 so we will see how that turns out after I run it through Sony Vegas.....

IMGP1360.jpg

some of the nicer ones
IMGP1369.jpg

and the best one of all.....I got my nicest deformed to date!!!
IMGP1368.jpg

IMGP1366.jpg

Thanks to everyone for making me feel that lost void deep inside in not getting to dive the Cooper lately. We were planning to hit it 2-11-12 but one had to back out. Really cool pictures and the Mastodon just blows me away. I don't have one of those yet. I have had several great trips to the Cooper with only one bad trip. (Note to self...if it has been raining alot lately, don't go the vis is gone)! I love to dive there and we get over 5 hours of bottom time with just a couple of 80's with air to spare. I have had so many teeth, ( not as much as 2th Divr....very impressive BTW) that I give some of them to the kids in the area to spark an interest and teach some history. I'll try to recover some pictures to post. Please let me know if anyone is planning a trip and I'll see if I can make it. To those that have never gone or going for the first time during this time of year...do it! Better vis, less traffic and the gators are "mudded in" for the winter.

Hello Tony.... posting photos seems to make the winters more bearable. Thanks for the admiration of the Mastodon tooth. I am not a beginner fossiler, so I thought it was justified and right about on time in the big scheme of things. If you are in or around Charleston Saturday February 18th, you might wanna wander through the Cypress Gardens Fossil Show. It is across the street from the Durham Creek boat landing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom