Any fossilers wanna show off some photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello from Atlanta area. I just found this group and wanted to say hello. I've made 100 dives in the Cooper in the last 12 yrs. Absolutely my fav dives. Would love to get together with some of you guys some day. I have been with Tom McMillian, Cercopely and on my own at times. Ill post some pics soon. My best find is a large mastadon but have some nice Megs also. I haven't been a lot in the winter but would like to soon. I have a dry suit and dont mind the cold. Again.........good to find you guys, Andy

If you are on facebook join "cooper river divers"

Hello Andy... Lee here. Atlanta is my hometown, but have adopted Charleston as my final resting place. Meanwhile I will be on the lookout for yet another sharks tooth. I grew up diving offshore NC in the grave yard of the Atlantic. Then drifted south to Charleston. I don't dive cold water these days but usually start diving around April-May.

Hold that thought

Need to head off to work

Check ya later

@ TONY.....we will be down for more diving Feb 11.....if ya wanna join us just hit me up.....we have our own boat so just bring you gear and pitch in on gas....

@Andy I sent a request for the "cooper river divers" group......again if you wanna join us the 11th for a little cold water just hit me up.....the invitation is open to anyone that has previous experience in the river....

here is what I could scrap from the last dives video.....a large clump of grass knocked the gopro off angle so it took a lot of editing to get SOMETHING.....anyway I figured a bad vedio would be better then no video...

Cooper River Diving 1/12/12 - YouTube

watched the video Mud. looks exactly like many of my Cooper river dives. Some things don't change. I have done many many dives that looked precisely and exactly like that. looks like you found a nice gravel bed. i dont see that as good Cooper River viz although tolerable. Frankly I dont like the current that strong either but then sometimes that is just the way it is. i am funny about anchors. i stay way clear of them unless i am re-setting them. i definitely do not get behind them. i have had more than two come loose and come past me on the bottom. i personally think the brown symmetrical angy was your best find. congrats!

Lee the lights highlighting the sediment always makes the vis look worse then it is.....it took a good 15 min to actually find the bed.....its finny how the river changes so quick....the week before that the anchor would have set righ on the bed....this time it was a good 30m to the left...I understand ya on the anchor thing....Ive dropped down to the anchor a many time to find it cruising across the bottom....thats why I always check make sure its got a good bite.....we have had to go back down on a dive due to it lodged under a tree.... if there comming past you on the bottom how are you dropping down so that your behind them??? we always og down to the anchor and crawl upstream from there so we can drift back into the boat on assent....just curious....I always like to see how others are divin the rivers....

another thing....you ever dove the waboo?

Mud&Rox...thanks for the invite that's very kind of you but I'll be back in cave country the same time. Lee said it best. By far the best video of what it really looks like. If someone asked what it is like I'll refer them to your video. Was the flow really that high? I enjoy some flow to clear out the silt we create but tend to do the SI while the tide is changing. I've been down before when it is changing and it got to the point where the current was almost flipping me over. It really kicked my butt. Seems that you spent a lot of tiime getting to the gravel bed. I know a place where we anchor in that puts you directly on the bed. Simply drop down and start looking. Can't wait to dive it agin and look forward to meeting you guys. Take care and happy hunting.

I am thinking Waboo is a typo. I am thinking he means the Wando. I have dove the Wando and would do it again. Thick with gravel (1/4" to 1/2"). Gravel everywhere. Basically a "gravel" bottom. Almost like someone has walked on it and smushed it in. I am speaking of the HWY 41 area. Easy diving. Not much current. Shallow.

I weight myself heavy when diving the Cooper and can easily hang below the down line. When I detect the bottom I will usually drop off the line. Soon as I make a landing I quickly crab sideways to give the anchor a path should it choose to break free and traverse downstream. After making all my adjustments I will crawl up to the anchor and survey what things look like. I have adjusted the anchor before but only from the side or in front of it, and only if it is just not holding. I always dive in such a way that I can get myself back to the boat without help. There have only been a few times that I missed the boat (upon return) and found myself quickly being washed down river.

no Waboo isnt a type lol its a creek...Ive talked to alotta locals about it and its got some old British ship wreaks in it with coins, guns,buckles and so on....still haven't dove it yet....trying to decipher the facts from the folklore

and @ TONY yea the current was ripping that day....we sat on the boat for about an hour and 45 min. and it never died down on the out going....they HAD to be generating and we wanted to dive so we dropped in......we went by out gps to put us right on the bed and it actually did....we felt the anchor on the rocks....but when we got down to it it was under a good 8" of sand......and a few yards to the left what had sand on it from the last dive was wide open!

anyone care to share some dive spots?? i know getting people to come off there honey holes is like pulling teeth....literally but there is plenty down there for all of us right??

Ill start with the video dive site....that is on red banks due south of the pipeline directly before the bend, dead center in the river

from what ive gathered diving in the bends of the river is really hit or miss...one day the bed will be uncovered here....the next dive it will be over there....but the quality of the finds are alot higher from the teeth found in the center of the strait sections...in the straits the beds never really "move" and there LOADED with the frags.....

you all care if I start another Cooper River thread to keep the pic thread from getting cluttered with river talk??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom