Any other divers out there that are smokers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving. Drinking. Smoking. Trips.

It will get you well before it does. Yul BRYNNER & knowone.

I'm a full time instructor and dive guide and - as I am sure many of you will have observed - for some reason, rather a lot of us, including myself, smoke. Fortunately I work in a country where it's still legal and doesn't cost a small fortune to do so.

There are diving risks associated with smoking but there are also diving risks associated with eating too much cake so arguments in that direction are relatively pointless. The anti-smoking lobby have cornered the media so I tend to be respectful about it by smoking downwind, but then the captain lights up and my efforts are immaterial! :)

If you're a smoking diver - enjoy your diving just like the cake eaters! :D

Cheers (tongue in cheek)

C.

Costs me 18 bucks a pack of 25........On land.

Just wait and see how long you vigorously defend the creeping crippling effect of smoking as opposed to the right behind it.......On land.

The media is cornered by nothing and acts only in it's own interests everywhere, but not much under water because only we can see what's under there and the rest don't care much about what they can't see.

A bit like smoking and diving.

Never smoked cigarettes but I do enjoy a good cigar every now and then. :)

There's a Clinton joke in there but I'll :ignore:
I'm a former smoker of various types. I gave it up for various reasons. Diving being one of them. I still know a few divers who smoke and one of them smokes a pack a day, at least 50 pounds overweight, and has a better SAC than me.:shakehead:

This just made me realize something for the first time. I've done a number of resort trips where the diving was done from dayboats, and a number of liveaboard trips. Seeing smokers (both guests and staff) was always very common at resorts, whereas I've never seen even one on any liveaboard. The topic doesn't come up in the briefings, and I've never seen anyone light up.

Seems you haven't been on a euro liveaboard. I have been on trips with European operators and the other divers regularly grab two cartons for a 7 day Red Sea trip. As long as they dont smoke below decks it doesn't bother me much.

On my last trip there were some slovaks who kept a pack at their station and lit up right after getting out of the water (sitting with the BC on their back and still wet). They were maybe 19-20ish... That was hardcore.

When I first visited the Caribbean (14 years ago) both DM's on the boat smoked, as well as the owner of the resort. Over the course of 14 years returning annually, both of those original DM's kicked the habit, and all the new ones were not smokers.

When I was younger it seemed it was much more common, now we don't even sell packs to guests very often.

Back
Top Bottom