Any pointers on getting into and out of a BP\Harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not that I think the fasttec buckle would fail, but if it did do you think you will fall out of your harness? Not likely.

The consequence of a failure is minimal. An irritation at the most, you call the dive if you cannot manage it and fix it on the surface.

Like I said... the problem I see with it isn't during the dive but while walking with the equipment on, while it really is the weak link. A single al80 is a far cry from double 104's with a stage bottle, all hanging from that same harness.

And just because failure points inherently exist in the system doesn't mean I want to start adding new ones.

Yes, quick release buckles have their advantages. But they also have their disadvantages. I just still haven't decided if I think the pros outweigh the cons in this case.

ruin a day of diving. Same goes for a mask strap or O-ring as well. I keep extras in my save-dive-kit ... including 3 or 4, 2" fastex buckles and even more 1" buckles. They are quite useful for lots of things. I even keep zip-ties in there to handle other minor "emergencies". I guess I was taught "Be Prepared" so deeply as a Scout that I bring it over to my diving.

My buddy at the LDS is priceless. We were talking about this very thing today, when he says... "Oh yeah man, they break all of the time!" so emphatically that I was just plain shocked. I asked him if he had seen this, to which he replied "no"... and then when pushed further, he started to realise that it was just an urban legend that he had been helping to keep alive. Go figure!

There are too many times when someone wants to make a point about how "unsafe" something is, that they make an "assumption statement". In their mind they must be breaking all of the time, so they have no qualms about stating this hypothesis as a reality. No proof- but it bolsters their argument about just how "unsafe" they must be so they make this statement (which is still just a lie). This is also true about some of the arguments against bungeed wings and the need for horizontal ascents.

Now, am I saying that I dive with one of those buckles on my BP/wings? Nope... I just like it as simple as possible. That' my preference, and I don't need any other reason for doing it that way.

Aren't scuba QRs made of the same material as those on luggage and bookbags? If so, they would seem to be more fragile than I would prefer for dive gear.

Back
Top Bottom