Doubles donning and doffing techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of people here in Switzerland/Germany use something like the following: Ntzliches / Leiter
That looks really useful. Do you climb the steps while holding the tanks to get them on the platform? Sounds tricky but if one could safely do it would effectively solve the problem of how to get ~100lbs to shoulder level.

Do you climb the steps while holding the tanks to get them on the platform? Sounds tricky but if one could safely do it would effectively solve the problem of how to get ~100lbs to shoulder level.
No, you don't climb any steps. Nothing tricky about it.

I have a Keter collapsing worktable that I used up at Dutch when things were busy and bench-space was at a premium. Very compact when folded (< 34" x 22" x 5") and a nice thing is that there is a lower shelf to hold masks, regs, etc. between dives.

https://www.amazon.com/Keter-Folding-Workbench-Sawhorse-Capacity/dp/B001CWX26Y

81ZMVuAKKsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Put bare twinset on table on their back. Install BP/W. Get suited up. Stand up Tank & BP/W assembly and slip one arm through to stabilize while rotating yourself around to get your other arm in and then go ...

Unfortunately lifting the twinset is not not assisted by the table directly, but you could probably use a 2x6 or similar as a ramp and lift it up a little at a time or "hop" it up over a couple of steps using an inverted 5-gal bucket or such.

It's a folding ladder. It's designed to be top heavy and not tip over.
I hate to break it to you, but ladders that are top heavy tip over all the time. Actually, I would think a ladder is more prone to tipping over when it's top heavy than any other time. User error, but it most certainly does happen.

@rddvet Get her one of these ladders. Everybody that dives doubles or CCR around here uses either one of those or has a van. Putting tanks on the ground and picking them back up whatever way can't be good for you.

Here is another diy site: Bau einer Rentnerleiter |
You can also google "Rentnerleiter tauchen" for more pictures of different designs.
Cool.

So you make a ladder that can no longer fold (without removing a part), that takes up a good bit of space in the little car when you could have just donned the gear sitting in the back of the car? Why? (Honest question)

I could potentially see the ladder (that was designed to go on flat ground) tipping over before the car does? Right? Cool contraption, but there's pros and cons to it just like everything else. I would absolutely try one, but since I have a vehicle big enough to work out of I just don't "need" it.

A pro (to me) that I could see using one of these would be a remote dive site where you have to lug gear to. Setup ladder 1st, then lug gear.

Attachments

• messing20100327.jpg
    messing20100327.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 67
I have a Keter collapsing worktable that I used up at Dutch when things were busy and bench-space was at a premium. Very compact when folded (< 34" x 22" x 5") and a nice thing is that there is a lower shelf to hold masks, regs, etc. between dives.

81ZMVuAKKsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Put bare twinset on table on their back. Install BP/W. Get suited up. Stand up Tank & BP/W assembly and slip one arm through to stabilize while rotating yourself around to get your other arm in and then go ...

Unfortunately lifting the twinset is not not assisted by the table directly, but you could probably use a 2x6 or similar as a ramp and lift it up a little at a time or "hop" it up over a couple of steps using an inverted 5-gal bucket or such.
Back in my day these were $65! Holy crap... that was only 2 years ago!

They're nice though

You could put them on in the water, use a hand truck to get them to the boat or shore line. But there’s no avoiding lifting them and the less you lift them the harder it gets.

Are there any secrets to easily donning and doffing doubles from the ground up? ... Any suggestions for better techniques?
One of my dive buddies would sit on the ground, strap into his harness, cross his legs, lean forward slightly, and then stand up! In manifolded PST LP 104's!! He wasn't particularly athletic (didn't have an athletic build). It always amazed me to watch him do this.

My approach, with my manifolded HP 102's, HP 120's, and (now) LP 50's was/is to sit on the ground, strap tightly into my harness, lean forward so that my weight and the weight of my doubles are on my knees and hands, swing my lower legs under me, and then stand up. Slowly. Helps if my hands can push down on something a bit higher than my legs, but this is not required. I was/am always prepared to roll to the side if things get unsteady. (I am not about to risk my back--especially now, since it is nearly 70 years old!)

ETA: We purchased a minivan (Honda Odyssey) when we learned that our first daughter was going to have twin sisters! My girls are almost adult now (ages 22 and 20), so I really don't need a minivan anymore--except that it makes this kind of thing (transporting, setting up, donning, and doffing doubles) so much easier!

rx7diver

So you make a ladder that can no longer fold (without removing a part), that takes up a good bit of space in the little car when you could have just donned the gear sitting in the back of the car? Why? (Honest question)
Of course you can fold it, the board isn't fixed to the ladder.
Not every car has a trunk that's good to put doubles on. It's also more comfortable to work on the gear and put in on while standing.

They're cheap and easy to make gear benches. Easy to carry and transport and stable with a lot of weight on... and you get a free ladder. I don't see any cons in using one of these.

One of my dive buddies would sit on the ground, strap into his harness, cross his legs, lean forward slightly, and then stand up! In manifolded PST LP 104's!! He wasn't particularly athletic (didn't have an athletic build). It always amazed me to watch him do this.
I saw something on TV the other day which said the ability to cross your legs standing, sit down on the floor and then get back up again all without using your hands is a remarkably accurate predictor of longevity (it's a good test of strength, body mass, flexibility, balance etc).

If he can do that with double 104s, he is probably on track to live to 200!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom