Doubles donning and doffing techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like back trouble waiting to happen.
Not if you participate in these events! :cool: :stirpot: :poke:

Foldable benches work as well to kit up

It's a folding ladder. It's designed to be top heavy and not tip over.

@rddvet Get her one of these ladders. Everybody that dives doubles or CCR around here uses either one of those or has a van. Putting tanks on the ground and picking them back up whatever way can't be good for you.

Here is another diy site: Bau einer Rentnerleiter |
You can also google "Rentnerleiter tauchen" for more pictures of different designs.
I bought her a small step stool style ladder so she can get them from the tank benches and the back of the truck. So she's doing it way less now. Most of the time now its when I'm not around and her tanks are on the ground. Or like in bonaire we had nowhere her heighth to build units so she'd do it on the ground.
I agree it can't be good for anybody doing it how she does it, but she's been successful so far. I bitch about it every time I see her do it so that's partly why it's happening less as well.
I like that diy idea

I have a Keter collapsing worktable that I used up at Dutch when things were busy and bench-space was at a premium. Very compact when folded (< 34" x 22" x 5") and a nice thing is that there is a lower shelf to hold masks, regs, etc. between dives.

81ZMVuAKKsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Put bare twinset on table on their back. Install BP/W. Get suited up. Stand up Tank & BP/W assembly and slip one arm through to stabilize while rotating yourself around to get your other arm in and then go ...

Unfortunately lifting the twinset is not not assisted by the table directly, but you could probably use a 2x6 or similar as a ramp and lift it up a little at a time or "hop" it up over a couple of steps using an inverted 5-gal bucket or such.
We have one of them and use that as well. We have a tendency to forget about it cuz its tucked away in a corner
Back in my day these were $65! Holy crap... that was only 2 years ago!

They're nice though
Agree, mine's like 5 years old and was about $50

I saw something on TV the other day which said the ability to cross your legs standing, sit down on the floor and then get back up again all without using your hands is a remarkably accurate predictor of longevity (it's a good test of strength, body mass, flexibility, balance etc).

If he can do that with double 104s, he is probably on track to live to 200!
My wife can do it with double 130s. It’s not that hard it’s just technique and general fitness. If you can’t do it you should maybe not be diving tanks that big

This pretty much answers my question. I like the fact that they have petite models doing it effortlessly. Like some videos I've seen of tiny women demonstrating proper technique for lifting a dropped Harley.

One of my dive buddies would sit on the ground, strap into his harness, cross his legs, lean forward slightly, and then stand up! In manifolded PST LP 104's!! He wasn't particularly athletic (didn't have an athletic build). It always amazed me to watch him do this.

My approach, with my manifolded HP 102's, HP 120's, and (now) LP 50's was/is to sit on the ground, strap tightly into my harness, lean forward so that my weight and the weight of my doubles are on my knees and hands, swing my lower legs under me, and then stand up. Slowly. Helps if my hands can push down on something a bit higher than my legs, but this is not required. I was/am always prepared to roll to the side if things get unsteady. (I am not about to risk my back--especially now, since it is nearly 70 years old!)

ETA: We purchased a minivan (Honda Odyssey) when we learned that our first daughter was going to have twin sisters! My girls are almost adult now (ages 22 and 20), so I really don't need a minivan anymore--except that it makes this kind of thing (transporting, setting up, donning, and doffing doubles) so much easier!

rx7diver
My kids are all old enough they don't need a minivan, but since we just had our 1st granddaughter it's super nice to have.

I'm not sure how I survived without sto and go before this time in my life.

... If you can’t do it you should maybe not be diving tanks that big
Well, last time I stood up from the floor while strapped into my full, manifolded HP120's was several years before I received two titanium hips (four weeks apart!). The thing about high-tech hip replacements is, although they are incredibly strong, you need to be careful how you bend them under load, lest they pop out of joint. At least, this is the warning my surgeon left me with.

If I ever again dive manifolded HP120's, or if I ever purchase a second OMS/Faber LP121/125 to complete a set of manifolded LP125 doubles, you can bet that I will NOT be standing up from the floor while wearing them!

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom