Any problem leaving a filled tank in the car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TC:
I've also left tanks in vehicles many times with no problem......

Except for that one time when a burst disk let go. It can happen if it gets warm enough. (IIRC the temp was around 100 that day)

On a normal fill? Just wondering.

Pete

Alum. 80. That was probably 20 years ago, so not sure what the fill was. If it was an overfill it wouldn't have been by very much.

On a normal fill? Just wondering.

Pete

Last summer while doing our SI we heard a "bang" coming from one of the parked car. Burst disk failure on a tank. No big deal but kind of scary.

Burst disks blow outside in the sun here, I certainly expect they would go in a hot car. The greenhouse effect of cars causes the interiors to got a lot hotter than ambient air temp.

I schlep my full tanks into my office rather than leave in my Scubaru in the parking lot.

TC:
I've also left tanks in vehicles many times with no problem......

Except for that one time when a burst disk let go. It can happen if it gets warm enough. (IIRC the temp was around 100 that day)
Factoid I read in an article about people leaving pets and kids in cars....if the outside temp is 100, the interior temp will rise to 140 in 15 minutes. The psa's run constantly here.

Same thing here in California. There have unfortunately been a few fatalities, our temps can get to 110-120 inland during the summer.

I've asked this question about both heat and cold. Most reply not to worry, and most of the time they're probably right. I always worry about tanks in a car, as a car can heat up astoundingly quick (ei. animals left in car....). Why risk a burst disk blowing?--now you need a new disk. In some situations I crack each front window a bit to create a tiny cross breeze and let heat out. I have even tucked a 2nd tank under the car (risking theft) while diving (you have to judge where you are parked). I have left them in the car overnight at motels if the temperatures are "normal" (what- 40-55 degrees overnight?).

If it's real hot out I'll throw a damp towel over the tank to cool it off a bit.

Sounds like a task for the Myth Busters!!!

Never had any issues whilst living in Jeddah or Dubai when temps hit over 50C in the summer, tanks sitting outside or in the car

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom