Any proof that dive computers improve safety?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fine, but convenience cannot be mandatory. This is why power windows and cruise controls are not mandatory on cars in US, but seat belts are.

Of course it can! It's their boat and their rules. If you don't like the rules, you can dive somewhere else.

Richard

Unfortunately it can, they may not be the sharpest knives in the drawer, but they can make whatever kind or stupid rules they desire. I have a couple of dead computers around, if you want one I can send it to you, you can wear it and dive tables.

I suspect, barring a user error, that computers are less safe than tables. Tables pretty much force the diver to stay on the conservative side while computers allow the diver to push it right to the edge if they choose. But I also suspect that user errors are more common with tables than with computers which is why some dive ops require computers.

Depends how you look at it.
99% of the time tables will project a squarer profile than a computer so one could say they were safer but...
after a while divers, recognising the lack of refinement, may begin to fudge table values by depth averaging, not rounding up etc... and this could lead to them being less safe.

This question reminds me of another question I asked but didn't get an answer to:

What is worse NDL wise (or is there a difference)?

Using the (PADI) tables to do a solid 20 minute air dive to 100ft. and ascending directly or...
Using a computer to do 19 minutes at 100ft. then ascend partially till more NDL time registers on the computer, maxing that out then ascending till more NDL time registers etc... thus surfing the NDL's and stretching a 25 minute dive into a 40 - 60 minute dive? You could probably use a wheel to multi level plan in the same way but not to the same degree.
It's a way I've noticed that one can "stuff the bird completely" by using a computer and (theoretically anyways) makes a computer less safe (or does it?).

I'm curious about the effects of this kind of dive profile or whether there is a specific kind of name for it.

... I've noticed that one can "stuff the bird completely" by using a computer and (theoretically anyways) makes a computer less safe (or does it?).

I'm curious about the effects of this kind of dive profile or whether there is a specific kind of name for it.
That has a bunch of dangers associated with it, especially with respect to muti-day multi-dive profiles and flying after diving. Good term, we call it, "riding the bubble up."

Of course it can! It's their boat and their rules.
Not exactly, Richard. Their rules can be trumped by certification agencies, if these are interested, of course.

I would also think that requiring a computer would give the folks at a recompression chamber data that would be helpful in treatment. I would also think that if the during the dive briefing the mention of watching your dive profile and remaining NDL times is made, it may keep the dive operator from liability issues. The computer would record the profile and release the dive operator from liability. With my limited experience I cannot be sure but I think a computer provides a margin of safety in recreational diving. Eventhough I still think a working knowledge of the tables is necessary.

I don't know if using a computer while diving is any safer but it sure as hell is a lot more convenient.

Folks,
In our age of total statistics, it is easy to find statistical evidence that seat belts save lives, smoking promotes lung cancer, and ibuprofen relieves pain and inflammation.

However, though dive computers have been around since 80s, I've never seen any proof that using computers actually reduces the risk of injury, especially DCS, in recreational divers.

I am asking because some dive shops and liveaboards require mandatory dive computers for each diver; however, without solid scientific evidence of safety benefits from using dive computers, I would consider such demands premature. The numbers of decompression cases mentioned in DAN's study here DAN Divers Alert Network : Medical Research : Project Dive Exploration : FAQs are simply too small (only 28 recompressions + 300 mild symptoms like head ache in 10 years) for any conclusions, so I incline to think that no such prove exists.

But if someone knows some encouraging stats, please let me know.
Did any of these shops or live-aboards you're referring to actually state that they require the use of a PDC as a safety device? Or, is this an assumption that's why they require them? Personally, I see this as a trick question. Since, a PDC is not a safety device. It's simply another tool for calculating NDL's and then letting the user know how close they are to those theoretical limits. It's benefits are that it can extend dive times for most multi-level repetitive dives over tables and the wheel, by more accurately tracking variables. Any benefits of safety would be a side-effect and probably have more to do with helping cut down on human error.

Wearing a computer and having DCS or not wearing a computer wouldn't tell you anything. You might as well keep track of DCS and who's wearing a pink snorkel.

Boat captains can and do make the rules on their boats whether is a dive boat or any other boat. I'm sure wearing a computer isn't the most onerous rule that a boat captain has ever come up with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom