Any proof that dive computers improve safety?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Using the (PADI) tables to do a solid 20 minute air dive to 100ft. and ascending directly or...
Using a computer to do 19 minutes at 100ft. then ascend partially till more NDL time registers on the computer, maxing that out then ascending till more NDL time registers etc... thus surfing the NDL's and stretching a 25 minute dive into a 40 - 60 minute dive? You could probably use a wheel to multi level plan in the same way but not to the same degree.
It's a way I've noticed that one can "stuff the bird completely" by using a computer
and (theoretically anyways) makes a computer less safe (or does it?).

Depends on the computer and how you set it.

The Galileo (With a micro-bubble level of "1"), for example, will only allow 13 minutes @ 100' on air. A longer stay will make it add deco stops.

Terry

This is fairly easy.

1st, DCS cases are recordered, and my understanding is they are also investigated to some extent, so they probably record if the diver used computer or not. So you know in what % of DCS cases the divers used comps.

Many cases of Type I DCS go unreported.

also, since almost everybody wears a computer these days, you'll probably find that almost every diver who got bent was using a computer

does that mean using a computer is unsafe?

another way to measure "safe diving" is "number of dead divers using computers vs. number of dead divers not using computers"

you could try counting how many divers who die in a year died using computers, and i bet it will be close to 100% since almost everybody wears a computer these days

does that mean that wearing a computer is inherently unsafe?
Correlation does not prove causation.
(I realize that your questions were rhetorical, H2Andy.)

1st, DCS cases are recordered, and my understanding is they are also investigated to some extent

not at all

unless someone goes to a chamber, there is often no record of DCS; thus, probably the majority of DCS instances are never reported

even if they go to a chamber, they get treated. there's no real "investigation" that happens

There isn't an agency that I have heard of that is willing to state that computers are unsafe. Some agencies are running away from tables.

If I was an agency, I'd ditch the tables too.

Every time someone gets bent using tables, the lawyers would be knocking at the CA's door. If the CA can get everybody to switch to computers, when someone gets bent they can just say "We don't have any depth or time recommendations. Call the computer manufacturer".

Terry

It doesn't matter! There is a little thing called physiology that makes EVERYONE different and even the tables are a best guess! People take hits who are well with in the tables or a computer! It is the chance we take and the price we may pay for our activity! Not all parachutes open!

If you operated a liveaboard boat or fleet why in the world would you not require each diver to utilize a computer with the repetative diving being done by those on vacation? It would seem to also pre-screen would be aurgumentative and annoying clients. :D

You can't expect to SIT around for a couple of hours waiting for your tables to clear while the computer divers are ready to go. Although I see no reason why the boat wouldn't let you SIT out the entire dive. But scheduling other divers around your tables just isn't going to happen.
Richard
Well, Richard, it is always one or the other. Either you dive in a group, and then you dive in a group when the divemaster decides it is OK to go, no matter what your comp or table says (or you can skip your dive, of course). So I assume everyone's computers are always syncronized :) Or you are on your own and dive as you wish. So nobody ever scedules their dives around someone else's comp or tables (at least, not in my humble experience) and, naturally, I do not expect this to happen.

If you operated a liveaboard boat or fleet why in the world would you not require each diver to utilize a computer with the repetative diving being done by those on vacation? It would seem to also pre-screen would be aurgumentative and annoying clients. :D
How about a mandatory prayer before the meals? I'm sure this would be even better pre-screener.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom