Any reports from Coiba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couldn't agree more buton! It's nice having a dive opening almost exclusive to yourself. Again, looking forward to your report and pics! Don't be afraid to give us any downside you may encounter too. Thanks.

Thanks again! I will check out the train trip!

FYI about the train ...
It only has two passenger runs a day. It leaves Panama City (Albrook) at 7:15am and arrives in Colón at 8:15am, and it leaves Colón at 5:15pm, returning to Panama at 6:15pm. That's only Monday through Friday. It's really a commuter train for the businessmen who live in Panamá and work in the "zona libre" (free trade zone).

Colón isn't a town you want to hang around. Except for the free zone, it's a very tough neighborhood known for violent crime. Your best bet would be to hire a taxi for the day to take you to some of the nearby attractions, such as Fort San Lorenzo, Gatun Locks, Portobelo or Isla Grande. You can dive and/or snorkel at Portobelo. There are two excellent restaurants there, too; Los Cañones and La Torre.

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't intend to mean Jake should spend the day in Colon itself. We certainly didn't, kinda scary, noisy and a bit smelly. The train is a commuter train but has one car for tourists, done up nicely with bar and I believe we got a box meal too. I very much enjoyed the ride both there and back, though in between the to and fro we went to isla Grande for a couple of days.

ChillyinCanada -- just curious, how did you get to Isla Grande? I've been there a couple of times, but it's been a few years. There used to be a small, primitive dive op there -- Dive Panama -- operated by a guy named Andres. We dove with him a few times. Did you happen to see if it's still there?

We took a taxi, it was a bit pricey but a lovely drive. I didn't dive there, didn't see any dive op, sorry. We really enjoyed our time on the island, had good meals but our rooms were crap. :)

We were there midweek too and so didn't have to contend with the weekenders.

Thanks so much for those tips! I put those on my list now!!! :0)
FYI about the train ...
It only has two passenger runs a day. It leaves Panama City (Albrook) at 7:15am and arrives in Colón at 8:15am, and it leaves Colón at 5:15pm, returning to Panama at 6:15pm. That's only Monday through Friday. It's really a commuter train for the businessmen who live in Panamá and work in the "zona libre" (free trade zone).

Colón isn't a town you want to hang around. Except for the free zone, it's a very tough neighborhood known for violent crime. Your best bet would be to hire a taxi for the day to take you to some of the nearby attractions, such as Fort San Lorenzo, Gatun Locks, Portobelo or Isla Grande. You can dive and/or snorkel at Portobelo. There are two excellent restaurants there, too; Los Cañones and La Torre.

Hi! I can't give you any info on dive operators or how to get here, but the sea life at Coiba is amazing! We come every week on the cruise ship I'm working on, and spend half the day at Granito de Oro, just south of the park headquarters. Last week was the first week I talked the captain into letting us dive, and I'm trying to go again in a few days. I heard about a spot called Mona Lisa that I'm trying to find, as it looks close enough to Granito to stay within radio contact with our boat. Have you gone diving here yet?

Thanks!

Rachel

I got back from coiba 3 days ago, I am still in Panama I will do the report once I get home next Monday....

They have been posting a lot of pictures of whale sharks on FB from Coiba! I hope they are still in the area when we go!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom