Question Panama Diving Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will Rogers

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings!

Traveling to Panama in May with our newly certified adult kids. Not too much information, particularly recent, about the diving either in Coiba or in Bocos. We will be in both places, so any recommendations on dive operators, etc. most appreciated.

Bocos sounds to be, at times, pretty good Caribbean diving. Coiba sounds as if it could have some great pelagics and fish life, but I worry the good diving there would be difficult for my newbie kids.

Had hoped to do the overnight to Coiba and stay at the ranger station, but I understand that is no longer an option.

Many thanks for any insights!

Bill

This came up in Similar Threads while I was looking at Panama City, Florida diving. Shame no one chimed in here about diving in Panama -- were you able to find any information and have you already made the trip?

A friend of mine lives on the Caribbean side of Panama. There is a lot of untapped diving potential it seems. We hope to go next winter.

Did three tanks with the kids in Coiba yesterday with Panama Dive Center. Great operation. Diving was quite good. Lots of white tips and eels and some nice schools of fish. We couldn’t dive the stronger currents given the kids’ inexperience, but we had a great day.

Did three tanks with the kids in Coiba yesterday with Panama Dive Center. Great operation. Diving was quite good. Lots of white tips and eels and some nice schools of fish. We couldn’t dive the stronger currents given the kids’ inexperience, but we had a great day.
Cool, glad y'all had some good dives. Oceanic whitetips or whitetip reef sharks?

When you have a moment, it would be great to hear how you like the trip overall -- topside activities, food, lodging, transportation, etc. I've not seen too much about travel in Panama. Have a great trip!

ok, so I've been perusing Santa Catalina, Bocas del Toro, Isla Coiba, etc. and now I want to be there. However, how the hell does one get to anywhere in Panama that doesn't take 11 hours on what looks like some seriously boring highways?

Was very interested in any updates on Panama!

However, how the hell does one get to anywhere in Panama that doesn't take 11 hours on what looks like some seriously boring highways?
Portobelo, on the Caribbean side, is about 1.5 hours from Panama City. My friend owns a shop in Portobelo (Golden Frog Scuba) and runs really enjoyable, laid back trips. If you want to go to Bocas, you can fly from the Albrook airport to David. That will cut out about 8 hours of driving. Coiba is closer to Panama City, but it's still a fairly long drive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom