Any tips for making a wetsuit easier to put on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make sure that you don't use anything with oil in it because it will eat away at your wetsuit.

I think if you are struggling too much.... You are going to eventually damage the suit, and break the seams. I would say, invest in a newer suit with better elastic property. Folks complains that hyperstretch material compressed too much at depth, and not as warm.... But neither is a cheap rigid wetsuit that doesn't comform well to your body, and let that blast of cold water squish in the spine area of your back. My sister bought her daughter a cheap wetsuit.... I kept on saying - "its too tight". She said, "it will stretch and fit". Within 3 dives, the seams start coming off at the butt... The tightness would've been worse in cold climate.

I've seen "generic" brands of moderate stretchy wetsuit through diver direct, I believe, for about $100. New henderson hyperstretch can be had too, check out ebay. I bought a 4 brand new henderson hyperstrech suits off ebay and scuba.com for about 1/3 or 1/4 of new price. I dive very cold water with my full hyperstretch and a corewarmer .... and few very little if any water movement within the suit. Can't say that with any other suits - as water tends to slush in the back - and you can feel that cold water really really quick. As I see it, the less water movement, the more dry you are, the warmer you are. My hyperstretch hood keeps my hair as dry as a drysuit hood, and much easier to put on.

One of the reason NOT to use shampoo, dish detergent, or other lubricant is: Dryness of the skin and maceration of the skin. I've seen dry patches of skin on folks who need lubricants to put on their suit. Detergent continues to work after you're submerged and dry and irritate your skin.

Hyper-stretchy material certainly helps but it may not be as warm as stiffer materials, due to possible water infiltration. However, many suits have zippered ankles which do help quite a bit with donning and doffing.

The wetsuit with the zipper back is popular here. Some divers don't get the sleeves fully pulled up to the armpits before attempting to zip the thing. They then need help zipping up.

The problem is not the suit or their size. The suit needs to be 100% on prior to zipping.

Plain old water works as well, if you have access to a shower. Pull your foot through the wetsuit, let the water run down your leg and pool a little (the ankle seal will keep the water in), then pull it up. The water acts as a lubricant. Repeat where necessary. Just don't forget to let excess water out of your wetsuit after you're done :D

Thanks for the replies so far. This came up because I was traveling out of town and stopped in at a scuba shop that I came across. I saw a can on the shelf that I never saw before. It was some kind of spray to help don wetsuits. I was looking at it, and the shop owner said that most people just use Dawn.

It kinda went over my head at that time, and I thought "that makes sense, it's nice and slippery". But as I was driving home I realized what a bad idea it seemed like...pollution, skin irritation, etc.

(And of course more bubbles coming out of your arms and legs than your regulator is never a good thing!:no)

I then realized that this stuff was on the same shelf sitting next to the wetsuit shampoo. I imagine that's what he was referring to, not to help with the on and off, and it seemed more reasonable to me.

I heard about a lot of other methods, and decided to see if divers here had some practical experience, or other good ideas. Most people in my area are using dry suits more and more. I suppose I'll get one eventually, but they are pricey, so for now it's still my wetsuit.

Thanks again to all who replied. Some good info!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom