Anybody do a New Year's Day Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did a new years eve dive in Dutch Springs, PA. temp was 46/47 or so, 50ish minutes at 70 feet. viz was good until we caused a complete silt out. good dive though.

We did 17 min @ 37 degrees. We would have done longer but we couldnt even see our gauges so we got out and enjoyed some refreshments instead.

The Lake Lanier Looneys had 25 divers come out for a New Years Day Dive in Lake Lanier, Georgia on the first dive. At 33 feet the temp was 50 degrees and we had about 15-20 feet viz. The second dive had 4 divers (including me). Kraken (or should I say Mrs. Kraken, the Yellow Angelfish) made some great Kraken (Irish) stew and we had hotdogs and hamburgers and the usual side dishes (although the deviled eggs were missing.)

Everyone had a great time.

Mike

79 divers showed up at Gilboa Quarry in NW Ohio on a blustery, damp, misty day and got in at least one dive. This has become a annual ritual and a great deal of fellowship and fun.

A few of us from 2 different central VA dive teams were in the water yesterday for the first round of training for the year. Temp was in the low 40's, vis 0-3 feet, max depth 30 feet.

I dove a local quarry yesterday. There where about 8 divers there & a few other divers came by to watch the "crazies" dive:D . The air temp was only 37 with a driving wind blowing. The water temperature was 42 (it was actually warmer in the water than out). There was no thermocline when you dropped below 50'. It was the same temperature all the way down. My buddy & I did a 92' dive & were down for a total of 26 min. I called the dive about 15 min into it because at that time because my buddy wanted to do a very slow ascent & stop every 15' or so for a couple of minutes. At that time my head & hands were starting to get a little chilled, my air was at a point where, with the ascent we were to make I would be down to about 700#'s (my buddy had doubles & I had a Al 80). & also I was starting to push my no decompression limits on my computer. After getting out, I nearly froze trying to get my gear off. I hid out in a heated trailer that was there & warmed up with a little hot chocolate. When it came time to do the second dive, I looked at the cold, wet gloves & hood, dreading the shock of putting them back on. I then decided to sit out the second dive & my buddy went with another diver.

jdarnall2001, I've wanted to do one of those Dec 31/Jan 1 dives for a long time: Maybe next year.

Enjoyed everyone's posts, thx.

I got a last minute (12:30 a.m., Jan. 01) invitation to dive. Diving the first day of the New Year-fabulous! Hope it means I'll be diving more this year than last, in better trim, and finally being able to frog kick. Many thanks to my dive buddy who was "assigned" me and took it all graciously.

Due to last years effort and my desire for married bliss I chose not to this year. Last year we did a Swansea Bridge dive at midnight with fireworks on the foreshore (pretty lights). Its a tidal dive and high tide was at 11:55pm 31st. A once in a lifetime experience. 25 divers in, sitting on the sand watching flashes of coloured lights. The wife and I talked about it later and she democraticaly decided it wasn't going to happen again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom