Anybody have a good setup for hauling 15+ tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The words “good” and “hauling 15+ tanks” should never be used in the same sentence. :wink:

Attachments

• TechDivingMag-Fig11.jpg
    TechDivingMag-Fig11.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 140
Pelican used to make these - maybe they still do. Or weld up something taller. Throw a cargo net over them and tie them down:

opplanet-pelican-tank-rack.jpg

and pray no one rear-ends you...:D

I use those noodles from the dollar store that kids use to float on. cut them in half or thirds and connect together with some poly rope. they keep the tanks from rolling/and some protection when stacking.

Pelican used to make these - maybe they still do. Or weld up something taller. Throw a cargo net over them and tie them down:

View attachment 190879

and pray no one rear-ends you...:D

Those are the ones that work much better thrown down over the tanks than loading tanks into them. The top of the tank is the area that needs stabilzing, and putting them over tanks locks them into place.

Mmm so would this be illegal in Canada?

It would be illegal in the US unless you have the right permit.

Just keep in mind that you can transport up to 500 kg (total) of containers containing compressed air before you will be affected by TDG Regulations. 500 kg is only 1,100 lbs, so you are getting close.

With that many tanks in view, you will run the risk of being "inspected".

I like the idea of taking an old aluminum lean up ladder, and taking the two pieces apart cutting them to length in four pieces. Then welding or bolting them into a box of sorts that fits into the back of the truck. This in turn could be used with straps to hold the tanks upright. Cross pieces could be added as needed. With a short bed truck a 20ft ladder would be a lot of material to work with. Total weight would be under 40lbs. Storage could be a problem but it could be hung from a wall or hoisted to the ceiling when not in use.

The reason I thought of it is I recently gave an old ladder I had sitting in my side yard to scrap metal guys as I couldn't find a use for it, then when walking thru my neighbors yard I noticed she had a ladder that was scrap. (I have a Little Giant ladder that suits my needs, along with a 6 foot fiberglass.) Aluminum is expensive and recycling is more fun!

d4bda849-fc54-4a65-9d9c-d19fb493224e_400.jpg

Back
Top Bottom