Anybody know the best mask that purges....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carnell04

Reaction score
the water out meaning clears the mask without taking the mask off? I have tried numerous masks and my head must be weird because I get leaks all the time. This would be much easier. Saw a guy with one and he loved it. Thanks.

There really isnt a BEST. What may be great for one person may not fit the next person properly. When it comes to mask its all about fit. For me the best mask didnt come with a purge but because it fits so well I really have little use for one. If the mask fits like its suppose to cleary it the old fashion way is easy enough.

NOLA DIVER

Find a dive shop with a pool and try a few out. Sometimes finding the right mask takes some doing. I accidentially bought a purge mask on line a couple of years ago and I did not like the feature. My advise is to try before you buy if you can.

You really shouldn't need a "purge mask" to purge water from your mask. Simply hold your mask to your face and exhale through your nose. When you exhale through our nose, the postive pressure inside the mask should do the purging for you. You may need to tip the bottom of the mask off your face just a tad, but really, it should be that simple. A purge valve on your mask is just one more piece that, over time, is likely to need replacement.

The first question that comes up in me is.... "why"?

What makes you prefer a purge mask to a ... "normal" ... mask? Often times (and I'm not saying that you are one of those because I obviously don't know you) people try to solve skills issues with gear solutions and it always leaves me wondering if they are fixating on the ... whatever.... "wrong" solution to their problem.

Maybe you could give us a little more background regarding your choice? It might help us give you better advice.

R..

I would stay clear of purge mask. Rather get a low volume mask that fits good.

not a purge mask, but alot of the new low profile, frameless masks clear super easy. To the point students don't even realized they are clear when they are first learning to do it.

I have had a few purge valves in my masks over the years. I have had the best luck with the Sherwood Ex Purge brand. But when I dive in the ocean where their is a currant I have had leaks sometimes horrible. I always wandered why my mask that never leaks in fresh water almost always leaks on ocean dives. So on a liveaboard last year I brought along a non-purge valve mask that would be my backup. I got tired of my mask leaking really bad, so I tried my non-purge mask. With the same currant conditions the mask did not leak any. So now my backup mask is my primary. Now I know why my purge leaks in the ocean. The currant got under the little flap in the valve and caused it to leak.
I use to be the biggest purge valve fan in the world. Now I would recommend staying away from them. That valve is just one more thing to fail with you under water.

Anybody know the best mask that purges..the water out meaning clears the mask without taking the mask off?

This is a surprising question/statement to hear from a (qualified?) diver.

Can I ask what your current mask clearing 'procedure' is? You take your mask off?

Without wanting to assume anything, I would like to point out that any scuba mask can be easily and swiftly cleared without having to remove it.

The most commonly taught technique is:

1) Gently secure the top of the mask frame against your forehead with one hand.
2) Slowly and continually exhale through your nose.
3) As you reach the end of your exhalation, look slowly upwards.

This technique ensures that any water in your mask is completely expelled. It is no easier or harder than if you used a purge valve mask. :D

I have tried numerous masks and my head must be weird because I get leaks all the time. This would be much easier.

There are lots of reasons why a mask could leak water. If you've tried a variety of masks and had the same problem with all of them, then it is not likely to be a 'head shape' issue.

Common reasons for leaking masks include:

1) Facial hair (beard, mustache, sideburns) interfering with mask seal.
2) Long fringe/bangs hanging down into the mask seal, allowing water entry.
3) Over-tight mask strap, creaseing mask skirt and skin..allowing water entry.

I am not a fan of masks with purge valves. However If I was, I would want a mask that did not leak first. In your case buying a mask with a purge valve would be dealing with the symptom... you need to address the cause. DevonDiver said it perfectly. Find a good dive shop and let them help you fit a mask! Happy Diving.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom