Anybody taking Blood Pressure meds???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks to all for the input, disclamers not withstanding :wink:

the downside that should make it a particular PITA is that near as I can tell from my research to this point, I can expect to be even MORE tired, which should make increasing my cardio activity a REAL chore.

Between work and my 8 year old and his activites, my tank is on about 50psi as it is, and it would seem that increasing the "go juice" would be completely counter-productive.

We shall see. Thanks again to all for the input. I'm off to the treadmill

P.S. Sorry I missed the Diving Med forum, there's like a bazillion seperate rooms in this place.

ATENALOL--I was taking Atenalol (a beta blocker) for PVC's which I've had since I was a tadpole. When my doctor found out that I was diving he changed my med to a channel blocker. He explained that some people who take a beta blocker, especially Atenalol, could have a condition including bleeding of the lungs which could be fatal. I Googled it and got the skinny.

I was switched from Atenolol to Diovan when I started diving.

I'm on both blood pressure (Toprol XL 100mg) and cholesterol (Vytorin 10/40) meds. Was cleared by the Doc to dive. The meds do make me feel a little more tired than without them and I have some mild joint and muscle aches. Funny though, all that seems to go away in the water.

Take Avalide daily. Diagnosed 2002 @ 160/110. For me it is hereditary, no dodging the bullet. Never noticed any side effects other then the potential for dehydration. Always chugging water as Avalide contains both an angiotensin receptor antagonist and a diuretic. I keep weight down, eat very well - very few processed foods - and do a ton of cardio speed walking, biking, spin class, boot camp aerobics, swimming. Take care of yourself for you AND your 8 yr old!

if they are giving you a diuretic type drug, definitely bring up the diving with the doctor! I was having some borderline blood pressure issues (sometimes high, sometimes not so high) and when the doc suggested the diuretic meds, I mentioned diving... he immediately said "errr, maybe we should skip the meds as they do tend to dehydrate you." (BTW, he is a diver so he has read and understood the issues. :wink:)

I take 4 blood pressure meds and my doctor knows I dive as we talk about it often ( we work together ) I have no probelms when I dive. I actually feel better now that my problems are straighted out with the addition of 2 more pressure meds. After years of high blood pressure is does take abit getting used to having normal pressure .. it makes me sluggish at times but never when I dive ... go figure.

I dive and I take meds for blood pressure, but we could all give you our own profiles, doses, and histories and it would mean nothing since everyone is different and will react to meds differently. What others have said is absolutely true: you need to locate a physician that is well versed in diving physiology. However, another item that has been mentioned should be explored. The DAN website, under the page title "fitness to dive" looks at quite a few medicines commonly used for high blood pressure control. While this resource is not definitive, it will provide you some background info and help you develop questions for your doctor when you locate one. The website can also tell you how to go about locating a "diving doc".
Of course, the information provided here by divers concerning exercise and diet has merit. There is little doubt that combining the effects of meds, improved exercise and dietary habits will make great strides in getting your condition under control.
By the way, I was recently prescribed a beta blocker (I was experiencing PAC's plus my BP was creeping up a bit), but I found I couldn't tolerate that particular med. It was on the DAN website that I found the information that explained the side effects (tiredness and loss of stamina) that I was experiencing and I consulted with my doctor for another solution.
Take heart...there are a LOT of meds and solutions that are effective for hypertension. Take it a step at a time and be flexible. With time, some effort, and dedication you should be able to dive for a long, long time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom