Anybody Using Geewhiz Condom Catheters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buy the non wide-band Rochester catheters. Not nearly as painful.

/...So far the widebands have both came loose/off unintentinally, and ironically been difficult to remove in some cases. I'm sure my technique will evolve over time to improve the overall results. I.../

Having one come loose unintentionally can be avoided by doing three things:

1. wiping the surface you are trying to stick to down with rubbing alcohol first, to remove excess skin oils that otherwise can prevent good adhesion. It also removes moisture and dries fast as it quickly evaporates;

2. making sure you get things as far into the tip of the condom catheter as possible and then holding it there before rolling the adhesive coated section down; and

3. Keeping the skin pulled tight as you roll the adhesive portion on.

That however will mean it's well adhered so you'll have to pull it off by starting at the edge, and gently pulling it away at a 90 degree angle to your skin, while working your way around. No need for pain, bruising or lost skin.

Buy the non wide-band Rochester catheters. Not nearly as painful.
I may get some of these. It looks like the adhesive doesn't extend so far towards the end, which would limit the pain of removal significantly. I don't hear much about people using the Rochester Ultraflex though, so I wonder if they tend to blow off more often.

It really isn't a big deal. If you are into normal personal hygiene (shower a day) just go with the standard wide bands. Never failed, no real discomfort, you can take it...

I use widebands exclusively. 1) clean 2) manscape 3) pee without worry.

Simple.

Ouch! You guys have convinced me to never, ever, use a dry suit, I'll just stick to whatever water temperature keeps me in a wetsuit. Then I can pee to my hearts content without the pruning, gluing, cutting, and pulling parts. That sounds like way too much work, and with potential damage to that which should not be damaged.

It's not nearly as much of an issue as some people make it out to be! I have hundreds of drysuit dives without any injury or personal issue caused by a condom catheter. I have only done two drysuit dives (DUI Demo Day) without one.

I have had one "blow out" where the condom catheter came off mid-relief and it made a bit of a mess in my drysuit. That is why I moved to the wideband caths, and haven't had that issue again since.

Sure, technically a wetsuit is easier to pee in...I'll give you that. However, you'll smell like a urinal. All being equal, I'd rather dive dry so I can drink more coffee. I don't plan to take my drysuit to warm water dives, but if it's a close call...dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom