Anyone been stung by a jellyfish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I was stung once...

on my first ocean dive, there were jellyfish everywhere...we were literally dodging them at times. All of the sudden my neck started itching and just felt generally irritated, as if someone had scratched me. When I surfaced I had a slight red mark. It didn't amount to much of anything, which is why I say "I think I was stung...":confused:

Now those other little critters...the bristle worms and scorpion fish...I have no desire to ever encounter! I had no idea there were such things until I read this. Glad I know what to look out for now!

Now those other little critters...the bristle worms and scorpion fish...I have no desire to ever encounter! I had no idea there were such things until I read this. Glad I know what to look out for now!

All well & good, but those scorpion fish are masters of disguise! You'll be hard pushed to even see one... they are expert at mimicking a piece of knobbly coral or rock. Amazing when you do actually spot one though... I guess that just doubly reinforces the whole "look but don't touch" rule.

Keep your eyes peeled...:D

Thats why you ALWAYS look before you put your hand down. I think I see one on almost every dive.

divebunnie once bubbled...
I guess that just doubly reinforces the whole "look but don't touch" rule.

Keep your eyes peeled...:D

No doubt! Thanks for the advice.

Wendy once bubbled...
They are little, no more than 5 inches long or so I guess.

The one that nailed me on an oil rig was well over 10", before I crushed it with the bare inside of my left arm while fighting a large AJ. I have since seen them close to 2' long. Most often these are found hiding in and under rocks or bottom (including sand) during the daytime. They are most active feeding at night, functioning as a reef's garbage collectors.

FT

I measured a Bristle Worm on the radio tower off Naples with my lobster gauge - 9 inches.

How are some of you getting close enought to measure the bristle worms without getting "stung"?

finstotheleft once bubbled...
How are some of you getting close enought to measure the bristle worms without getting "stung"?

When we were collecting them for a research study we would use a pencil to lift them up into the water and then let them 'fall' into a ziplock bag. No one got stung.

And I didn't know they got that big, guess I've always just seen the babies.

You have to touch them to get stung. Don't touch them even with gloves.

Point well made Walter...

I know it is easy for a jelly fish to brush against you unexpectedly, but as I said before, if you don't touch the coral you can't get stung by a crafty well disguised scorpion fish.

Anyway, I am going to sound like I am preaching if I carry on...:)

lol

Back
Top Bottom