Anyone been stung by a jellyfish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Argghh! You guys just made my fear of jellyfish worse!!

On my first OW check out dives, my brother and my instructor ganged up on me knowing my fear of them. "Jelly fish!! Jelly fish!!!" they yelled. "WHERE????? WHERE?????!!!!! F*(*&((*fd!!!" I screamed. Turned out I was freaking out at a plastic shopping bag.

I did get stung eventually, but by one of the little thingies with black spots on them...in Cozumel. Bit me on the lip while I was in the water waiting on everyone to jump in. Nasty burning sensation. "F*&^%&*((!!!!!" I screamed, to which everyone of course said, "Naughty girl! Shouldn't kiss on the first date." Luckily the burning sensation was short-lived.

My worse experience (knock on wood) of being stung was not by jellyfish but by unseen and therefore unavoidable sea lice. I itched for days, not to mention I looked like I had some sort of communicable skin disease for about 3 days.

I was on my 3rd and 4th OW dives getting certified in the Sea of Cortez in San Carlos last November. On my 3rd dive I was stung on the inside of my arm by a string of pearls jelly, at least that was what I was told, I never saw it. It felt a little like cactus stickers that are broken off under your skin. So that part was not bad, but I noticed that my chest got a little tight and I was wheezing a little. But by the time I got back on the boat and got my BC off my breathing was OK, and I put some vinegar and benedryl (spelling?) solution on it and it was fine just a little red itchy wriggly line up the inside of my arm.

Then the next dive, after I had surfaced I was stung on my lip by a hydroid (or so I was told) and got that tight feeling in my chest and wheezed again until I got back on the boat and got my BC off. I am thinking I am probably allergic to them, and have decided to always use my lycra suit or full wetsuit if needed. I purchased some of that jelly fish sting protective lotion called Safe Sea but have not been back to the open water to use it yet. Has anyone else had this kind of reaction to stings?

Also, I am planning to go back to San Carlos to dive the 2nd week of June. Does anyone know how big the jelly fish population is during that time?
:scubadive

Alright. It depends how big the jellyfish that might sting you. If its a small one, it might hurt for a couple of minutes. Now if its huge, it will hurt at least for the rest of the day, if not through the next day too. Now if you're a man :)sprite10:) it shouldn't hurt that bad. lol. Good luck!

Dived in schools of stinging box jellies, have surfaced in a slew of Portugese man'o'war (techincally not a jellyfish though), dived through masses of stinging upside down jellies and loads of moon jellies.... and never ever been stung :) even when not diving in a suit.

Sea lice, fire coral and tiny hydroids on the other hand..... ouch!

I've been stung by all sorts of hydroids, big and small. Though I've heard that peeing on the sting will help, I've also heard it's simply and old wives' tale. The best thing to pack in your dive gear is an anti-imflammatory such as hydrocortisone. It works well for any type of stinging, including fire plants and animals, stinging hydroids, and sea urchin spines (they hurt a LOT, trust me).
One tip if you find yourself in a hyrdoid swarm--purge your regulator around yourself to blast a free zone. This is especially helpful as you surface, as often the critters are in the shallows.

Andy

OKay...from what I gather from reading 10 pages of your experiences, a wet suit should protect you for the tenticles floating around in the water. Is there a way to get those things out of the wetsuit at the end of the dive? I would hate to survive the whole dive, only to experience the sensation when packing up my gear on land.

diverbob:
Is there a way to get those things out of the wetsuit at the end of the dive? I would hate to survive the whole dive, only to experience the sensation when packing up my gear on land.

Just rinse your gear off. And really this is quite unnecessary regarding nematocyts, as they quickly dry up and die. The venom denatures too.

i didnt read all 3 pages so sorry if this was mentioned but this is not widly known. you cant tell how much a jellyfish sting hurts because they shoot nomadocists (pardon for spelling) that inject poison into your skin. everyone reacts differently to the stings. same goes for corals and anemones. any sting can range from rash symptoms to serious pain and fever. and like said before some can kill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom