Anyone else hear about this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

808Dude

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
"I would like to take this time to congratulate Mark Logan and the crew of Puanani. He started and finished every race from Kaneohe to Ko Olina, to Waikiki and on the way back had to drop out. This is where the story of congratulations begins. Kaneohe Yacht Club boat started off the Ala Wai with the wonderful help of the Hawaii Yacht Club Race Committee on the Yacht Prima Donna. All was fine; every one was sailing along beautifully. At one point aboard Desperado one of the crew looked up and saw four or five colored inflated sticks floating vertically about a mile and half off Kokohead. With further investigation the crew of Desperado realized that they were divers in distress and caught in ripping current and heading to Kauai. Desperado tried to hail the Coast Guard on the radio with no luck, but they were able to raise what they thought was the dive boat. The person on the other end of the radio said, “Roger, we will investigate. Thank you very much.” So Desperado went on its merry way and headed to homeport. Later, we discovered Mark Logan and the crew on Puunani saw the same divers and dropped out of the race to help them. Once they turned around and picked up one of the divers, they figured out that the dive boat was way off course and down by Diamond Head. Mark returned the one retrieved diver to the dive boat. Then the dive boat was able to go get the other divers and bring them home to safety. If not for Mark Logan and the wonderful crew of the Puunani, who knows what would have happened to those divers? Please, when you get a chance thank Mark and shake his hand; he deserves it for his efforts."

-from the May issue of the Kaneohe Yacht Club newsletter.

"I would like to take this time to congratulate Mark Logan and the crew of Puanani. He started and finished every race from Kaneohe to Ko Olina, to Waikiki and on the way back had to drop out. This is where the story of congratulations begins. Kaneohe Yacht Club boat started off the Ala Wai with the wonderful help of the Hawaii Yacht Club Race Committee on the Yacht Prima Donna. All was fine; every one was sailing along beautifully. At one point aboard Desperado one of the crew looked up and saw four or five colored inflated sticks floating vertically about a mile and half off Kokohead. With further investigation the crew of Desperado realized that they were divers in distress and caught in ripping current and heading to Kauai. Desperado tried to hail the Coast Guard on the radio with no luck, but they were able to raise what they thought was the dive boat. The person on the other end of the radio said, “Roger, we will investigate. Thank you very much.” So Desperado went on its merry way and headed to homeport. Later, we discovered Mark Logan and the crew on Puunani saw the same divers and dropped out of the race to help them. Once they turned around and picked up one of the divers, they figured out that the dive boat was way off course and down by Diamond Head. Mark returned the one retrieved diver to the dive boat. Then the dive boat was able to go get the other divers and bring them home to safety. If not for Mark Logan and the wonderful crew of the Puunani, who knows what would have happened to those divers? Please, when you get a chance thank Mark and shake his hand; he deserves it for his efforts."

-from the May issue of the Kaneohe Yacht Club newsletter.

Pardon my ignorance on yacht races etc but when did this happen...date?

It don't recall the exact date fo that race but it was in April.

Just called KYC and the receptionist didn't know anything about it. They wouldn't give me the name or phone info for the skipper of the Desperato, but took my name and number and will ask them to call me.

I'm very curious as well. I hope I get some good information.

I will post if I get lucky and he/she calls me back.

I also asked for the name of the publisher of the newsletter. Same story.

You guys need to get your internet specialty training! :D

Kaneohe Yacht Club Video Links

Anyway the skip won't talk about what company, so don't expect a response. The unconfirmed story is that the charter owner went for a dip too and left a new captain in charge.

Accidents happen but the thing that annoys me is that the Coast Guard didn't respond. This is the second time in a year I've heard someone not being able to raise them when lives are at stake.

You guys need to get your internet specialty training! :D

Kaneohe Yacht Club Video Links

Anyway the skip won't talk about what company, so don't expect a response. The unconfirmed story is that the charter owner went for a dip too and left a new captain in charge.

Accidents happen but the thing that annoys me is that the Coast Guard didn't respond. This is the second time in a year I've heard someone not being able to raise them when lives are at stake.

Why do you think the skipper won't talk? Did you try? Do you know the skipper?

What's the word? Good job on rescuing the divers. Who were they with? How did they get caught in a current on it's way to Kuaui? I'd like to know more about this story. I've known other divers who've been caught similarly and would like to compare their experiences for training and educational purposes.

I guess the boat sacrificed a potential win to perform the rescue? That's a really 'Good Samaritan' right there! Good job, you've really helped someone in need. High Five brah!

I have decided after nine years of watching what the USCG does on Oahu, that they have serious problems.

gee...process of elimination...

any prize money?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom