Anyone know how to Bear-BQ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bear was delicious. We ended up not bbq-ing it; too many other things on the bbq. We marinaded it in buttermilk for 48 hours, then marinaded it in red wine, lemons, and assorted spices. We then put the steak and loins in a crock pot early Sunday morning, with onions and garlic, and slow cooked it for about 10 hours. Even those leary of trying said the taste was surprisingly good. It was moist, tender, and very tasty. Thanks for all of the advice.
JAW

I've only had bear cooked as stew. If I could find my Alaskan cookbook with the game recipes, I could post some info. Must have been lost in the move :-(

Results usually depend on where their from and how big they are. One of the best pieces of meat I ever had was done as a roast (which I avoid like the plague), and was a small(<150#) bear from New Brunswick (not NJ). Tasty and tender beyond belief, and Ive also seen a old adirondak big boar that when split open smelled like the south end of a north bound goat and the guy got a replacement tag from fish and game as it was definitely not eatable. (probably raiding dumps etc)
Glad you enjoyed it, and just thinking about it is making my stomach growl........

JustAddWater:
The bear was delicious. We ended up not bbq-ing it; too many other things on the bbq. We marinaded it in buttermilk for 48 hours, then marinaded it in red wine, lemons, and assorted spices. We then put the steak and loins in a crock pot early Sunday morning, with onions and garlic, and slow cooked it for about 10 hours. Even those leary of trying said the taste was surprisingly good. It was moist, tender, and very tasty. Thanks for all of the advice.
JAW

Wish I'd seen this thread earlier, I may have crashed your party!
:eyebrow:

Looks like you've got the cooking technique nailed, it's almost exactly like I cook buffalo roast, except I sometimes use italian dressing as marinade and usually throw it on the water smoker all day.

Next time I think I'll prep it like you did your bear, then put it on a rack in one of my cast iron dutch ovens with a little wine in the bottom. To keep from messin' with keepin' coals for the d.o. goin' all day I think I'll throw everything in the regular kitchen oven on real low heat for several days, well, maybe several hours. :D

Glad it turned out good!

Sounds like it turned out very well - Bear is a meat I'd love to try one day. For future note, I have found that boiling a tough meat in Pineapple or Apple juice (1:1 with water) on a low simmer for about 1-3 hours (depending on thickness) with a handful of peppercorns before BBQ'ing makes the toughest meat just melt, plus depending on the juice it can really sweeten up the flavor (My favorite is doing ribs this way - no more fighting to get the meat off the bone, then use a homemade pineapple bbq sauce)

Never tried bear. I knew someone that had one once and they used it as they would any meat for the family.
I have had moose. It was so tough. The crockpot for hours on end was the best way to cook it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom