Anyone still have fun diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharing my passion is why I am now doing what I am doing and a bad days diving beats a good day sitting around talking / thinking about diving :)

Will never forget an open water student that was so thrilled at his dive that he ( a guy from Kuwait ) surfaced and before establishing postive buoyancy attempted to tell me it was fantastic and amazing (while spluttering due to water coming over his face ) Obviously I got him buoyant (by emphasising my own inflation valve) and smiled as he told be how beautiful everything was below.

Diving Fun ? yes its serious fun ! mmmm does that sound like a padi marketting line for the rescue course ? :)

James

I had my first bad day diving on Sunday. Nothing seemed to go right, head wasn't in the game. But as I pointed out to my girlfriend on the way home "A bad day diving, well it's still a day of diving" so I guess even when things don't go well, it's still more fun than most other activities. my 2 cents worth.

Chris

The cliche goes "Even a bad day diving still beats a good day in the office." I recon that's about it for me. I've had some frustrating days when everything seemed to go wrong too, but then usually it's because of poor planning and I try to figure out why everytime something doesn't go the way I wanted it to. That way when planning any trip in the future I'd have one more lesson to think back on and plan for proactively - this way it all just gets better and better all the time. :eek:)
I still love diving no matter whether things turned out differently on the dive as expected. I recon underwater there are no cell phones, no meeting schedules, no urgent projects, no work crises, just me, my buddy and the weightless world of the water - there's just nothing that helps me destress like diving does; no hnag on that's not true, there's one thing: a diving holiday with my wife:D

i post on my website all the time. I have FAR fewer dives than many of my friends, and they are still just as enthusiastic about it.

My website is in my signature...it's a little girly and a little goofy at times...but I love posting about my dives. Just typing about them lets me relive the thousand little moments I experienced. And when I've been out of the water, I re-read about my dives...and those of my friends...just to get my fix!!! Talking about the technical aspects of it just gives us insight. Divers that get into it enough to be active on SB are ones that are serious. Thinking gives us feedback from other divers, ideas on problem solving, different opinions and dive styles, etc. And we've figured out that diving is a MENTAL sport also. There is the physical part of it, sure, the splashing down, swimming, etc. But the mental part is what keeps us alive and diving and LOVING it for years and years and years!!!

Someone mentioned the California kelp divers, and I have to agree that they are one of the most fun group of people I've ever met. You have to be a fun person to go out each and every weekend and splash down into that cold water. They decorate trees underwater, carve pumpkins underwater, raise money for charity, give to toys for tots, and they name their dive gatherings after a dog, they are just a RIOT! And I love the ones I've met.

So sure we all love still love diving!!! It's woven itself into the fibers of our soul...and we only talk about it because, like our spouses and children's and pets, the good and the inevitably annoying aspects of our pastimes are just part of who we are. :soapbox:

Now that I'm off my soapbox...is it time for the KEYS INVASION YET???!!!!! :chicken:

I've had a few dives that went poorly or where I didn't have circumstances that I was looking for, but when I'm onshore thinking about the dive plan (or in a boat) when I wonder if it's worth suiting up for I remember that I haven't had a "bad dive" ~ even when the visibility stinks, or there really isn't anything interesting I learn something. I dive year 'round, winter starts in October and ends in April for those of us who like to spend time underwater, it's COLD, but the visibility is excellent and I really wouldn't miss it, it's my favorite time. I love to dive, I think it goes without saying, if you post here; you just love to dive

meekal:
if this was a SEX forum you wouldn't necessarily see glaring stories about how much they enjoy sex.... that's a given... what you would see is posts about WHO should be on top or which side of the bed....... etc etc etc.... it's all about maximizing your enjoyment of what is already a given - a love of the experience of (diving). Folks here are just trying to give you what THEY think will help in this endevour.

Hey, after that, I think I'll go wake up my my wife . . .

Stan

hilti:
I've had a few dives that went poorly or where I didn't have circumstances that I was looking for, but when I'm onshore thinking about the dive plan (or in a boat) when I wonder if it's worth suiting up for I remember that I haven't had a "bad dive" ~ even when the visibility stinks, or there really isn't anything interesting I learn something. I dive year 'round, winter starts in October and ends in April for those of us who like to spend time underwater, it's COLD, but the visibility is excellent and I really wouldn't miss it, it's my favorite time. I love to dive, I think it goes without saying, if you post here; you just love to dive

i hear you about the winter time there is also less people about so you dont have to deal with others on the sites
most winter dives over here could be classed as nightdives it gets dark under the cliffs bu the winter storms get rid of most of the kelp so the vis is great and just the thaughts of playing in the surge roll on october

Reggae Joe:
A friend of mine once said, "Diving is like sex--even when it's bad, it's still good." I've been diving for about 11 years now, and I have to say that truer words were never spoken.

LOL, I ALMOST Agree!
I have to say I have had a few dives that were only fun after I was back at home or on the boat and then went. Pfew! That was fun! Usually they are my own fault either letting myself get too cold, going where I shouldn't or not planning well but none the less they make me think!

To answer the origional question.
I LOVE DIVING!
Just had to get that Off my chest!

I remember my first ever dive as still one of the best. I dunked my head into the lagoon, saw lots and lots of fish and though "yep, I will be doing a lot of this".
Had a lot of amazing dives since then. I have to admit, that some of the things that made me rave for days after dives do not get me worked up quite so much, but then there are new things that I am doing and exploring and that keeps it interesting. There is always another type of diving you can get into if rec gets too normal.
I am going for a divetrip in a week and I can't wait. I am going to try out my new Salvo 21W HID. That will put a big smile on my face.

The only bad dives I've had are the ones I didn't go on! I love everything about it. Just the smell of neoprene gets me excited. :sappy: :D

Back
Top Bottom