anyone who hates diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was terrified right through my OW and AOW. It was only recently when we went to the Seychelles that it finally all clicked into place. I knew what to do, my equipment was set up how I liked it and I dived with some great guys.

It might also have something to do with seeing a bonnet ray for the first time up close and personal. Now I can't wait to go again, the fear has gone at last:D

wow Ber your hubby must have been a young diver to get certified in 79. You know the guys at soda do the classes at sinclair too. I would go to wsu but i'm pretty sure scc is cheaper! So i guess all the guys at soda are pretty good? I don't know when i will take the classes yet so im not sure which instuctor is there. The summer is 5 1/2 weeks so i may wait for a longer full quarter class.

Well Az, those are things i can deal with! I never want to be at work anyway when it is nice out.

So Bonnet Ray-- how many times did you dive before you felt comfortable? And if it wasn't comfortable at first or you were terrified, what kept you coming back? was it just determination or pressure from friends?

dub once bubbled...
This probably isn't the place to ask this question.....but I was wondering how often people begin diving classes and decide they hate it or run into complications and realize it isn't for them. I would be curious to hear stories of why it wasn't for them or what complications may have occured. Anyone have stories of friends or family that didn't share the passion?

My wife took an introduction dive, realised she was too claustrophobic to become a diver and hung up her flippers before they were well and truly wet.

R..

dub once bubbled...
Thanks for the input everyone. I was only hearing about the people who loved diving and I felt i needed a more realistic view of it.

The thing is, I really don't even get in the water much. I have only been swimming maybe twice in the last 10 years. Diving sounds fun but I'm just trying to figure out if i will be one that goes into hysterics. Everyone telling me the whole key is to not panic-- well frankly worries me. It's not like i can help freaking out! lol And I have to admit the shark thing was a concern....until i heard all the other horror stories of what could go wrong--- now I have bigger concerns. It just seems like I'm one of those people that if there is a chance of something going wrong, it will.

Funny tho cuz I worked in a hospital too and saw alot of blood and funk-- and i love things like rollercoasters and freefalls. I guess I just have to try diving to really know.

Dub, you just need to take the plunge as it were. There's only one way to really find out how it feels. Your local dive shop will be willing to let you take a try-out in a swimming pool and often they'll do it for free.

R..

I was certified in Aug of 2002. I did not go back into the water to dive again until recently where I was taking an adventure class to gain more experience while under the supervision of an instructor and DM. I did run into some complications with my reg. and my buddy leaving me. There I was all alone with no one to help and my reg. was letting water in when I inhaled. I did panic! I did a quick ascent to the surface, threw off my mask and almost hyperventilated. I was very excited about diving until that point now I am not sure what I want to do. Right now I am at the point that I don't think diving is for me. You are going to have to decide what is best for you. If it is diving great if not that is okay too. Just remember diving deserves respect.

Is it common for that to happen? And if the reg isnt' working, won't you know before you get down very far? Sorry if those are stupid questions but remember i haven't done this yet.

Of a gear intensive sport. Most times, you can find the problems with a reg before you hit the water, but b/c it is mechanical, it can fail at any time. You just have to be prepared for that kind of situation. Have I ever had a problem with a reg I dove...no, am I confident I will know what to do if something happens....yes, that is the #1 reasons for practicing your skills.

Big T was correct. You can check out a reg before you dive, but you never can tell what can happen. I was on my second dive for the day and twenty minutes into the dive before I began having problems. I had a brand new reg. that I had only used once in a pool dive to get familiar with it and then on these two dives.

My girlfriend and I got OW certified last year. She decided it's not for he. As for me - I'm still not sure (and have just ordered custom-fit wet suit).
What's the problem? She felt a bit claustrophobic, and felt that all that SCUBA gear is too much to for her to handle. She likes swimming, and diving, but during SCUBA she looses that feeling of freedom.

As for my side - I have no problems regarding equipment. I have long history in rock climbing, so I'm used to rely on life-preserving gear. While diving without SCUBA I feel great joy in becoming 3-dimensonal creature. Go up, down, make rolls, loopings, turn the whole world up-side down. That is what I miss in SCUBA. You generally swim face down in horizontal position - no freedom, no play.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom